[Marxism] Mahdi Army's response to killings in Baghdad strengthens support

Fred Feldman ffeldman at verizon.net
Mon Nov 27 00:50:46 MST 2006

A Day When Mahdi Army Showed Its Other Side
Militia Seen as Heroic In Aiding Bomb Victims

By Sudarsan Raghavan
Washington Post Foreign Service
Monday, November 27, 2006; A01

BAGHDAD, Nov 26 -- In the chaos, Ayad al-Fartoosi thrived.

Against a backdrop of death and panic in Sadr City last Thursday, he strode
confidently through streets littered with burning cars and charred bodies.
At one moment, he was guiding an ambulance carrying bomb victims through
traffic. At another, he was searching cars at a checkpoint. By evening, he
had helped to seize a would-be car bomber and to retrieve corpses. By
nightfall, he was patrolling the streets of his neighborhood.

Since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003, Fartoosi has been a militiaman with the
Shiite Muslim Mahdi Army of firebrand cleric Moqtada al-Sadr. Last week, he
also served as a relief worker, a policeman, a traffic controller and a
guard.

So did thousands of his militia comrades who mobilized to assist victims of
the deadliest attack on Iraqis since the invasion, highlighting the power
associated with the Mahdi Army's less-publicized roles in Iraqi society.

"We do even more than what the government should do," said Fartoosi, 21, as
he recalled the eight grueling hours after a barrage of car bombs, mortars
and missiles killed more than 200 people in Baghdad's Shiite heartland.

For U.S. officials, dismantling the Mahdi Army and other Shiite militias
that have fomented sectarian strife in Iraq is a cornerstone of their
calculus to stabilize Iraq and bring U.S. troops home. They view it as a
crucial step toward isolating the Sunni Arab insurgency and reconciling the
nation.

But the attacks Thursday illustrated the immense difficulties involved in
tackling the Mahdi Army, the country's largest and most violent militia, in
today 's Iraq. The militiamen were heroes that day, Sadr City residents said
in interviews. They did everything that Iraq's fragile unity government did
not, or could not, do. In the days since, their actions have boosted Sadr's
popularity and emboldened him.

"The Mahdi Army are the people who helped us after the explosion," said
Shihab Ahmed, 24, a salesman who was wounded by flying shrapnel. "They saved
us."

Against this backdrop, President Bush is scheduled to meet with Iraqi Prime
Minister Nouri al-Maliki on Wednesday in Amman, Jordan. U.S. officials have
grown increasingly impatient with Maliki for his inability, or lack of will,
to confront the Mahdi Army and other militias, who operate unchallenged.
Some U.S. lawmakers on Sunday television talk shows called for Sadr's arrest
and for Bush to urge Maliki to take stronger measures against the militias.

But Maliki, faced with his own domestic pressures, has opted for a softer
approach, preferring political discussions over military muscle. The support
of Sadr, whose party controls four ministries and 30 parliamentary seats, is
vital to his remaining in power. Other powerful political blocs, capable of
staging his downfall, also operate militias.

Maliki and other Shiite leaders have said they will not go after the Shiite
militias as long as the Sunni insurgency remains a threat. In recent months,
Maliki has publicly chastised U.S. forces for conducting raids in Sadr City,
arguing that they disrupt his efforts at national reconciliation. Many
Shiites view the militias as their last bastion of protection against Sunni
extremists and loyalists of Saddam Hussein.

Thursday's attacks, which Maliki blamed on Sunni insurgents, has bolstered
this view and ratcheted up pressure on the prime minister. The next day,
Sadr politicians vowed to walk out of the government if Maliki did not back
out of a meeting with Bush.

On Sunday, Maliki was met with small protests when he visited Sadr City to
offer his condolences to the families of those killed in Thursday's
bombings. As he drove off, several youths threw stones at his motorcade,
according to local newscasts.

"Maliki, we know, is under pressure from the Americans," said Kareem Hendul,
a Sadr official. "But he should realize who brought him to the chair of
government. We brought him to power."

The Mahdi Army's response to the bombings suggests that diplomatic pressure
alone will not be enough to dismantle the militias. As long as Iraq's
security forces are ineffective and the government and its U.S. patrons are
unable to provide basic services and jobs, Sadr and his army are vital to
Shiites.

Sadr is widely believed to be modeling his movement after Lebanon's Shiite
Muslim Hezbollah, which has both an armed and a political wing and provides
social services to its followers.

"It has proved there is no need to disarm the Mahdi Army," Salim Faisal
Abid, 36, a Sadr City resident, said Friday. "If they were not there
yesterday, it would have been a disaster."

On Thursday afternoon, bombs in six parked cars began detonating at
15-minute intervals in three sections of Sadr City, including the crowded
Jamila Market. Mahdi Army militiamen quickly spread out around the vast
slum, residents said.

They helped the injured into cars and carted the dead to funeral homes,
where the corpses would be cleansed according to Muslim rituals. Some
donated blood and helped fire fighters douse flames. Other militiamen, some
clutching AK-47 assault rifles or rocket-propelled grenades, searched for
the perpetrators of the bombings. They found one more car, filled with
explosives, and took the driver into custody.

At Khadisiya Hospital, militiamen assisted doctors and nurses, carrying
patients into emergency rooms, Abid said. With hospital supplies thin, Sadr
officials sent over syringes, medicines and other equipment donated by
merchants. And with only four ambulances in circulation, most of the wounded
were being brought in cars.

"Most of the cars were Mahdi Army, or Mahdi Army men were inside to carry in
the wounded," Abid said.

Others fanned out to protect their neighborhoods. On nearly every street,
heavily armed militiamen stood guard, residents said. Concrete barriers and
barbed wire were quickly erected, closing off streets to unfamiliar cars to
prevent further attacks.

Entry and exit into Sadr City were controlled. When he learned of the
bombings, Hendul said, he rushed to Sadr City. But the militiamen at the
checkpoints refused to let him enter. He showed his Sadr identification
cards, but they wouldn't budge.

"They prevented me from coming inside until they made phone calls to check
who I was," Hendul recalled Friday. "Yesterday was a good example of how we
can handle security. Our city can protect itself better than the
government."

In interviews, residents said they did not see Iraqi army units entering
Sadr City after the bombings. Nor were there any American soldiers, they
said. Members of Iraq's majority Shiite police force were working hand in
hand with the militiamen, residents said. "Eighty percent of them are the
people who fight the Americans when they come," Abid said. "I haven't seen
any Iraqi troops. I heard Iraqi troops were in other areas, but only setting
up checkpoints and not helping move the wounded and the dead."

On Friday morning, Mahdi Army and Sadr officials arranged a massive funeral
procession to the southern holy city of Najaf, the burial ground for
Shiites. The militiamen secured the highway from Baghdad to Najaf, a road on
which criminal gangs often prey on travelers. Most of the funeral expenses
were paid by Sadr's office.

The Mahdi Army "had a very respectful position, and they were with us
throughout the whole thing," said Ali Abu Karar, who came to Najaf to bury
his 16-year-old cousin, Ammar. "We arrived here, and we found every thing
ready and the graves already dug."

More than 100 people helped dig graves, said one of the volunteers, Abu
Mustafa, adding that Sadr had given the order. "Now the coffins are
arriving, and whatever the people need we have orders to provide it to
them," he said.

Over the weekend, groups of Sadr officials and Mahdi Army militiamen visited
the relatives of victims in large funeral tents erected in front of their
houses, a tradition across Iraq. They brought food and envelopes of money,
Fartoosi said.

They promised the families of the dead and wounded that Sadr's office would
give them financial support, food and clothing in the coming months. "And
because of the bad conditions of the hospitals in the city, the Sadr office
will be providing medicines, medical equipment like needles, syringes, to
those who cannot afford it," Fartoosi said. "We give them respect so they
feel someone is taking care of them."

Now, like many militiamen, Fartoosi is certain the Mahdi Army cannot be
dismantled.

"It is not possible to disarm the Mahdi Army because these weapons we are
using are to defend the innocent people and not to kill the innocent, to
help the persecuted people against the persecutors," he said. "I would not
hand over my gun to Maliki, or to that damned Bush, even if they ask me to."

Special correspondent Saad Sarhan in Najaf contributed to this report.