[Marxism] Troubled times

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Nov 27 10:43:12 MST 2006

Joaquin Bustelo *

	What IS different in what I am saying NOW is that this sort of
analysis of privilege and its impact can only be held for so long in the
category of a unique or exceptional circumstance. To continue like this over
many decades(and in reality well over a century if you take it back to
Britain), and to have this sort of effect, my gut tells me, it's got to be
very deeply woven into the very structure of the system as it actually
functions.

^^^^
CB: In a way it goes back to the primitive accumulation of capital, which
consisted both of the alienation of British peasants from their land in
England _and_ slavery and colonialism around the world.  In his discussion
of the primitive accumulation of capital in Vol. I of _Capital_, Marx terms
colonialism and slavery the "chief momenta of the primitive accumulation.

Capitalism has always been a combination of waged, "free" labor and
specially oppressed labor.

With respect to U.S. slavery, Marx said, "Labor in the white skin shall not
be free while labor in black skin is branded."