[Marxism] The Internationale

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 30 12:20:48 MST 2006

Lots of good information over at Wikipedia, as often the case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Internationale

What I've always found fascinating is the wide variety of translations (or
perhaps it would be better to call them "interpretations" or "variations")
that exist, even in English. It's also fascinating to read all the different
verses of the song.

One thing I learned at Wikipedia is that the original intention was that the
song would be sung to the tune of the Marseillaise, but that shortly
thereafter different music was written. Good thing, in my opinion, I'd hate
to see the identities of two stirring songs be confused. Each deserves their
own place in history.

Lyrics to the Marseillaise are here - pretty stirring in their own right. As
with the Internationale, all sorts of unknown verses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marseillaise

Eli Stephens
  Left I on the News
  http://lefti.blogspot.com