[Marxism] The Internationale

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 10:21:03 MST 2006

On 11/29/06, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> Although the song might be regarded in some circles as kitschy, it will
> certainly continue to be embraced by anybody fighting to change the world.
> One of the more striking examples, which can be found on the MRZine
> website, is a video of militants of the Nepalese Communist Party singing
> the song accompanied by indigenous instruments. It, like Miller's film, is
> truly inspiring.

The first time I heard the Internationale was in its  Bengali version,  at
the huge funeral procession for Pramod Dasgupta (a fabled leader of the
Communist Party of India (Marxist))  as it wound its way through Rashbehari
Avenue, Calcutta on its way to the burning ghat in Kalighat.  I was 14 years
old at the time and it made a deep impression on me.

The Bengali version is a translation made by the poet Kazi Nazrul Islam in
the 1930s and was first sung, apparently, by Hemanga Biswas, a legendary
singer. (Both were associated with the undivided Communist Party of India
(before it split into the CPI and the CPI(M) in the sixties)).

The Marxist Internet Archive seems to have the translation of a poem by Kazi
Nazrul Islam: <
http://www.marxists.org/archive/kazi-nazrul-islam/poems/communist.htm>