[Marxism] Ahmadinejad's latest missive

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 30 14:46:04 MST 2006

Is the glass half-empty, or is it half-full? Was the Old Man right that a single spoon of
tar spoils the entire barrel of honey? Should we focus on the one or two sentences
with anti-Semitic implications out of Ahmadinejad's two-thousand word message to
the people of United States, or should we try to build on what he says that's good
and try to use his comments to advance popular understanding? The answer here
would seem obvious. I think Jon Flanders and Andy Pollack hit the nail right on the
head. We need to find ways to speak to the people to whom Ahmadinejad speaks.
A united front means "march separately, strike together".

That doesn't mean we have to accept everything which Ahmadinejad says, not at
all, but we shouldn't let one thing we don't agree with get in the way of discussing
and hopefully finding ways to act on the things where we do agree. Below is one
example which just came through. He takes up the question of the influence of
pro-Israeli forces within the United States in what strike me as a compelling way.

For example, the Nation of Islam, a quite influential political movement here in the
United States which is headed by Minister Louis Farrakhan. Farrakhan has recently
gotten ill and the organization is going through a certain leadership transition, but
the highly progressive information which it puts out to its membership and to the
public which it seeks to address includes things like Ahmedinejad's message:
http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_3059.shtml

Walter Lippmann
Los Angeles, California

Via NY Transfer News Collective  *  All the News that Doesn't Fit

[A US Christian explains the facts of life to Ahmadinejad about Americans and
the Zionist entity. Ahmadinejad's Nov 29, 2006 letter is here:
http://olm.blythe-systems.com/pipermail/nytr/Week-of-Mon-20061127/052528.html
-NY Transfer]

sent by Bill McGuinness - Nov 30, 2006

HTML version of this letter is located at
http://www.loveallpeople.org/replytoahmadinejadletter.html

Reply To Iran President Ahmadinejad's Letter To Americans 11/29/06

By Rev. Bill McGinnis, Director - LoveAllPeople.org

Dear President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad,

This is an open letter in reply to your "open letter to the American
People," as published in the USA by CNN on November 29, 2006.

May the One God, Who created all things, and Who gives whatever He wants
to whomever He chooses, give His blessing to these words written for the
benefit of all His people in this world -- believers and non-believer
alike. As the Prophet wrote, "There is no compulsion in religion," (Qur'an
2.256 - Shakir translation), which teaches us that God desires people to
come to Him by their own free choice, not by force or threats of violence.

Although I have no authority to speak for anyone other than myself, I do
believe that my comments here will represent the views of many other
patriotic Americans who are also seeking truth and justice. And I believe
that you can benefit by hearing some ideas here, which you may not have
heard before from your normal sources of information.

First, you wrote: "O, Almighty God, bestow upon humanity the perfect human
being promised to all by You, and make us among his followers." As a
Christian, I of course believe that God has already bestowed upon humanity
that perfect human being He promised, namely Jesus. And I invite you to
join with me as one of Jesus' followers. As Jesus said, "And you will know
the truth, and the truth will make you free." (John 8:32 RSV)

Next, you wrote many excellent, admirable statements, such as: "We are all
inclined towards the good, and towards extending a helping hand to one
another, particularly to those in need;" and "We all deplore injustice,
the trampling of peoples' rights and the intimidation and humiliation of
human beings;" and "We all detest darkness, deceit, lies and distortion,
and seek and admire salvation, enlightenment, sincerity and honesty."
I agree completely with these ideas, and I hope we can all do a better job
of putting them into action.

In every case, you were very critical of the Bush administration, as
I have also been in most cases. Bush's tragic misuse of power is the
kind of thing that can happen in the United States when the right-wing
neo-Conservative extremists gain control the Presidency and both houses of
Congress. Congress ignored its Constitutional obligation to provide
oversight of the President, and blindly followed the dictates of the
neo-Conservative Leader, George W. Bush.

But soon we will have a new Congress, and the neo-Conservatives have lost
their majority, rebuked by the American People in the recent mid-term
election. Bush is now a complete "lame duck," and nobody really owes him
anything. So he speaks, but his words have very little force. And if he
oversteps his bounds again, the new Congress can make his life miserable
with investigations and threats of impeachment and prosecution for war
crimes. Even the military -- which has almost become Bush's personal army
-- is required to follow the laws and the Constitution, not any illegal
orders which may be given by a desperate President. Therefore, many of the
most flagrant offenses of the Bush administration should soon begin to
cease, now that the American People have awakened and have cut off Bush's
automatic approval from his rubber-stamp Congress.

You refer to the state of Israel and its supporters as "the Zionist
regime," and "the Zionists." And you charge them with many crimes,
particularly against the Palestinians. In particular, you write: "In broad
day-light, in front of cameras and before the eyes of the world, they are
bombarding innocent defenseless civilians, bulldozing houses, firing
machine guns at students in the streets and alleys, and subjecting their
families to endless grief." You criticize the United States for its "blind
and blanket support to the Zionist regime," which has "emboldened it to
continue its crimes, and has prevented the UN Security Council from
condemning it." And you point out that these actions, and others, have
helped to cause "global resentment and hatred of America," thereby
spreading terrorism, not reducing it.

Without debating these charges, please let me point out two political
realities within the United States which make it impossible for anyone to
seriously oppose the best interests of the state of Israel, as determined
by the "Israel Lobby." (The "Israel Lobby" can be defined as "the
interconnected group of individuals and organizations who actively seek to
promote the political interests of the state of Israel, and who react
defensively and decisively to any criticism of Israel or its policies,
justified or unjustified.") Source: http://israel-lobby.info

Reality #1: Supporters of Israel have an emotional love for Israel similar
to a mother's emotional love for her child: they can see no fault in the
child, no matter what the child may do. This love does not respond to
reason or to objective facts. Her delinquent child may rob a bank, rape
five women, and burn down the schoolhouse, but the mother sees no evil in
him. So it is with the supporters of Israel. This is a fact of life in the
United States. We all must accept it and live with it, because we cannot
change it. This emotional love for Israel is reinforced by the
Old-Testament Bible verse where God says, "I will bless those who bless
you, and him who curses you I will curse; and by you all the families of
the earth shall bless themselves." The supporters of Israel believe that
this verse applies to modern-day Israel. (Genesis 12:3 RSV)

Reality #2: Supporters of Israel have enormous influence -- far greater
than their numbers would suggest -- in all of the instruments of power
in the USA. In the media, in the culture, in banking, in corporate
leadership, in both political parties, in all branches and agencies of
government, in the Christian churches, in the universities and other
schools: everywhere! This influence, coupled with their emotional love for
Israel, guarantees that absolutely nothing ever happens in the USA which
seriously criticizes or opposes the state of Israel. This, too, is a fact
of life in the United States. We all must accept it and live with it,
because we cannot change it.

These two realities mean that neither you nor anybody else can change
U.S. policy toward Israel by criticizing Israel. It simply will not work, no
matter how true or justified the criticism may be. If you speak in favor
of the Palestinians, the supporters of Israel call you a terrorist. And if
you speak against Israel in any way, they call you an anti-Semite. So if
you want the United States to change its policies toward Israel, you must
convince the supporters of Israel that it is in Israel's best interest for
these policies to be changed. That is the only way.

Blessings to you and to all people. May God help us all.

Rev. Bill McGinnis, Director
http://LoveAllPeople.org
http://InternetChurchOfChrist.org

Rev. Bill McGinnis is an Internet Christian minister, writer and
publisher. He is Director of http://LoveAllPeople.org, a small private
think tank in Alexandria, Virginia, and all of its related websites,
including http://InternetChurchOfChrist.org,
http://CommitteeForTheGoldenRule.org, http://CivicAmerican.com, and
http://AmericanDemocrat.net.

His agenda is to help maximize the happiness and well-being of all
people.

                                *