[Marxism] Critique of critique of communism?

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 2 05:13:59 MDT 2007

On 8/2/07, Sayan Bhattacharyya <ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Communism, defined as maximum self-realization for all individuals,
> is in itself a contradictory notion since my self-realization may
> prevent you from realizing your creative abilities. For example, my
> self-realization may depend upon the recognition of others. But such
> recognition is by its nature a positional good in the sense that not
> everybody can be equally famous."

Change the definition and the problem goes away.  If communism is instead
'defined' as the "maximum self-realization of all individuals commensurable
with that of others", then you don't have a contradictory notion: instead
you have one that adverts to a process of democratic negotiation.  As
'refutations' of communism go, that one is more than usually glib.