[Marxism] The absence of real forces [was: The low point]

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 13:39:04 MDT 2007

On 8/3/07, Joaquin Bustelo <jbustelo at gmail.com> wrote:

> My tendency is to think that even the orthodox Marxist way of posing the
> question is not right for today's world, that after six decades in which the
> most prominent and advanced manifestations of a world revolutionary struggle
> against capitalism have been the struggles of oppressed nations and peoples
> against imperialism, that national/imperialist subjugation needs to be
> recognized as a fundamental axis of oppression and exploitation of this
> system.

Marx recognized workers' struggle as a fundamental axis not just on
phenomenological grounds, however. It was also because of theoretical
reasons: the labor theory of value makes labor (and hence workers) a
key element in the scheme of things.

What you're suggesting here seems merely phenomenological at this
point. A theoretical fleshing out would be necessary (as you remarked
already). It seems that a new theory of value would probably be needed
for this.