[Marxism] Ratatouille

DCQ deeseekyou at comcast.net
Fri Aug 3 13:54:03 MDT 2007

Indeed the film was very good, and intriguing for--if nothing else--
the way in which it shatters the Hollywood model of plot
construction. Bird is one of those rare geniuses who's both a pop
(ular) artist and an artist's artist. And the movie is nothing if not
a love song to art and artists. (I've been thinking of transcribing
Ego's (voiced by Peter O'Toole) review/voiceover onto a poster in my
classroom.)

One correction for your review: the voice actor for Remy is not the
comedian Ray Romano, but Lou Romano. He is actually a Pixar
production worker in the art department. Apparently, he has provided
the voice temp tracks for several characters in Pixar movies, before
the "stars" come in and do their bit. Bird apparently liked his work
so much in this that he kept it (shattering another Hollywood truism,
that "stars" automatically are good voice actors...or at least sell
tickets).

-DCQ