[Marxism] The absence of real forces [was: The low point]

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Fri Aug 3 15:41:07 MDT 2007

Joaquin Bustelo--with whom my comments were not particularly taking
issue--wrote, "That the median standard of living really hasn't risen? That
the average size of homes hasn't increased? That the number of cars,
telephones, TV sets, the amounts spent of entertainment, etc, etc, etc,
haven't risen?"

Real people don't live statistical averages.  The nature of the recent
shifts in wealth make it quite clear that greater wealth at one end of the
spectrum take place without changing anything at the other end.  They get
more wealth on paper, which raises the average.  But the people who live
hand-to-mouth are still living hand-to-mouth.  Sorry to point out the
obvious but that's just how it is.....

...which does not, I hasten to add, mean that these people living
hand-to-mouth aren't also among those "who are PROUD to be Americans."  Or
that this category is now or ever has been ethnically or racially exclusive.

I'm sorry these aren't easy thing to figure out or explain....

But if you really want to figure out and explain them, it ain't going to be
easy.....

ML