[Marxism] The absence of real forces [was: The low point]

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sat Aug 4 07:53:53 MDT 2007

Sayan writes:

> Here's the Washington Post article that was referenced by the Brooks
> article:

The Washington Post
May 29, 2007 Tuesday
The Rise Of the Bottom Fifth
BYLINE: Ron Haskins

[...]

> The writer is a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution.
At the risk of beating this issue to death, the primary agents of change are
almost never found at the lowest level of society - in this case, households
where the worker(s) earn an average $16,800. The wild applause of
conservatives like David Brooks and Ron Haskins at the modest increase in
the average wage at the poverty level - bought, incidentally, at the expense
of Clinton's welfare cuts - only draws attention to how obscenely inadequate
it is for a family with children. For the life of me, I can't understand why
Sayan persists in joining the celebration.

Any real change would necessarily have to be based on and led by the
industrial, clerical, retail, and technical workers and college-educated
professional employees occupying the second, third, and fourth quintiles.
Their pay has been stagnating, their debts mounting, and their sense of
grievance increasing. If they begin to lose their jobs and homes in any
serious numbers, the political situation could change much more rapidly than
we have become accustomed to. That doesn't mean it will happen, but it's a
possibility not only entertained on the left, where you would expect to find
it, but increasingly on Wall Street and in the financial press as well.

Focusing on the ostensible progress of the poorest Americans is clearly
designed to draw attention away from the deteriorating conditions of the
mass of the US working class. No wonder Haskins writes that his rendition of
the CBO findings will "make Republicans happy".