[Marxism] Fidel Castro: A Reflection on Hard and Obvious Realities

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 4 10:09:04 MDT 2007

BACKGROUND INFORMATION ON FIDEL'S REFLECTION:
Granma looks at Russia's North Pole achievement
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CubaNews/message/69913

A Reflection on Hard and Obvious Realities
(Reflection No. 39)

http://www.cuba.cu/gobierno/discursos/2007/ing/f030807i.html

Because of its importance, I am prioritizing this subject, among
others.

I am not going to deny that the prerogatives of power, whether real,
relative or fictitious, have an influence on human beings, because
they were all educated this way, right from the remotest of times of
the species.

I did not arrive in just a minute at what I am thinking today about
power, but I consider that this is a matter of consistent thinking. I
attribute the modest contribution of our Revolution to the fact that
our responses to questions have never regressed, despite the harsh
reality imposed upon us by the empire's brutal blockade.

In the reflection published on July 31st, I explained what it meant
for me to have spent a year gathering information and meditating in
depth on the vital problems which today threaten our species as never
before.

On July 24th , the Russian news agency Ria Novosti published the
following information:

Colonel General Leonid Ivashov, a defense expert, stated that the
main instrument of the US policy is the economic, financial,
technological and military dictate.

By implementing this, the US is trying to secure the world's hegemony
for itself. Its national security strategy explicitly indicates the
necessity of guaranteeing sustainable access, in other words,
controlled access, to the key regions of the planet, strategic
communications and global resources. It is a strategy that has been
turned into a law, and this brings us to the conclusion that in the
future the United States will face even tougher conflicts with
Russia, China and India.

Washington insists on building a system capable of neutralizing the
nuclear potential of Moscow and Peking, its strategic rivals, in
order to achieve military superiority. The United States wants to
deploy its anti-missile shield not just in Europe but also in other
parts of the world, to see what is going on in Russia and China.
Likewise, it is seeking to increase its offensive arsenal at a pace
that surpasses even that which was followed during the Cold War.

After the collapse of the Soviet Union, NATO lost the status it had
as a defensive organization when it was founded in 1949, and was
transformed into a powerful and aggressive instrument at the service
of the world oligarchy, eager to dominate the world. The new
strategic concept of the Alliance, approved on April 1999 as a result
of the efforts made by the United States, comprises new functions and
expands its sphere of responsibilities to include the entire world,
not just the North Atlantic. The current Secretary General of NATO,
Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, frequently visits Australia, New Zealand and
Japan. The Alliance has started to ignore International Law and the
UN Security Council. Meanwhile, the United States promotes the
expansion of NATO and refuses to ratify the Treaty on Conventional
Armed Forces in Europe (CFE), taking on the right to act outside of
any limitations and disposing of troops as it wishes.

The United States would do anything in its power to prevent Russia
from being an autonomous player. The debates on anti-missile defence,
Iran and Kosovo, have not generated any formulas for compromise.

It is important for Russia to consolidate its positions and recover
its geopolitical potential. Early on the 1970's, when Moscow had
achieved nuclear parity with Washington, the latter became aware of
the fact that it could not beat Moscow militarily and accepted to
negotiate on equal terms. Consequently, in 1972, the Anti-Ballistic
Missile Treaty (ABMT) as well as all other subsequent Strategic Arms
Limitations Treaties (SALT) were signed. Strength is the only thing
that the United States cares about. If it feels to be in a stronger
position, it will never make concessions to anyone.

In order to neutralize the plans for world hegemony it is necessary
to build an alternative pole, and we already have the foundations to
do so: the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).

In fact, it appears to be rather incorrect to speak about the United
States strength. The United States has military power, a vigorous
economy and an enormous amount of hard currency which it can mint in
unlimited quantities, but the geopolitical level of the country is
extremely low. The United States inspires very little political
confidence in the rest of the world.

In 1999, China and Russia stated before the UN General Assembly the
need to preserve the Anti Missile Defense Treaty of 1972. All nations
voted in favour of the proposal except for four: the United States,
Israel, Albania and Micronesia. The result bears witness to the
United States' total international isolation.

Without the participation of Russia, it would be impossible to
resolve the situation that has taken shape in the Middle East, the
Balkans, the Korean Peninsula and other regions of this planet. This
also holds true for China, which is able to put up to the pressures
exerted by the United States. China enjoys great prestige in the
world; it has a powerful economy and a strong currency.

The SCO ought to recruit new allies and combine the potential of
those countries which want to and are capable of implementing an
autonomous policy. First, it is necessary to officially proclaim the
rejection against the United States world hegemony. Second, China and
Russia must denounce the deployment of the US anti-missile defense
system before the UN Security Council, as an action altering the
architecture of global security and threatening the entire
international community. China, India and Russia could form a united
front in the face of the United States' dictates. It is also possible
to propose the stabilization of the global financial system as a
task. Within the SCO framework, a novel philosophy could be
formulated, based on the harmony among civilizations and on the
rational use of natural resources. The majority of States will surely
support such measures, of that I am convinced. Thus, a new political
pole will come into being, the pole of peace. The SCO mission is to
create a new model of development for human civilization.

Only an alliance of civilizations could oppose the United States'
empire: the Russian civilization whose orbit includes the Community
of Independent States (CIS); the Chinese, the Indian, the Islamic and
the Latin American civilizations. It is an immense space where we
could create more equitable markets, our own stable financial system,
our collective security mechanisms and our philosophy, giving
priority to the intellectual development of man in the face of
western modern civilization, which emphasizes material goods, and
measures success by the amounts of mansions, yachts and restaurants
people have. Our mission is to reorient the world towards justice and
intellectual and spiritual growth.

So much for Ivashov's essential thoughts, as published by Ria
Novosti.

We have been able to find out that General Leonid Ivashov is Vice
President of the Academy on Geopolitical Affairs; he was Secretary of
the Council of Defence Ministers of the Community of Independent
States (CIS) and Chief of the Military Cooperation Department at the
Russian Federation Ministry of Defence. On September 11, 2001, the
day when the tragic events in New York occurred, which served as a
pretext to define the basis of the genocidal policy of the United
States almost 6 years ago, General Ivashov was the Chief of Staff of
the Russian Armed Forces. He is a truly well-informed man. It is
worthwhile that our people know about his views.

The concern which the Cuban Revolution has always had about the
education of the people is obvious. Judging by my own experience, I
soon came across the idea that only conscience could prevail over the
instincts that govern us. Technological advances today speak of the
possibility of manipulating the functions of the cells in the human
brain. What good would all this do in a world ruled by the commercial
value of goods and services? Who will have the final say in this
regard? By this means and through the shameless brain drain, a
phenomenon we should adamantly continue to discuss, the most valuable
part of the human being could be destroyed: a human being's education
via its conscience.

Laboratories can produce medicines to save lives, which could be
something of great social value provided such products are available
to all. But laboratories are also manufacturing all kinds of weapons
that could put an end to human life.

Commercial advertising and consumerism are incompatible with the
survival of the species. After all possible calculations, you will
realize that natural resources, space, climate, weather, and the
system cannot yield any other outcome, given their pace and the
direction in which they are moving.

Fidel Castro Ruz

August 3, 2007.

7:15 p.m.