[Marxism] Converging US and Iranian interests in Iraq

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 4 13:16:57 MDT 2007

Walter Lippmann wrote:

> Washington and Tehran talking is a good thing because the
> Iranians are under the gun and don't want to be attacked
> militarily. It appears they are doing everything they can
> to avoid being attacked by Washington. If only Washington
> would normalize relations and negotiate with the Iranians
> over disputed issues, war could be probably be avoided.

Actually, I doubt that there is much chance of a war with Iran, based on
Chomsky's sensible analysis:

Despite the saber-rattling, it is, I suspect, unlikely that the Bush
administration will attack Iran. The world is strongly opposed.
Seventy-five percent of Americans favor diplomacy over military threats
against Iran, and as noted earlier, Americans and Iranians largely agree
on nuclear issues. Polls by Terror Free Tomorrow reveal that "Despite a
deep historical enmity between Iran's Persian Shiite population and the
predominantly Sunni population of its ethnically diverse Arab, Turkish
and Pakistani neighbors, the largest percentage of people in these
countries favor accepting a nuclear-armed Iran over any American
military action." It appears that the U.S. military and intelligence
community is also opposed to an attack.

http://www.alternet.org/story/58243/