[Marxism] The Road to Rightville

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 13:40:57 MDT 2007

...a more accurate wording might have been "Why I Turned Right: Or,
The Experience That Closed My Mind Forever."  [...]  When he was 15,
Stanley Kurtz attended an antiwar rally, only to be shocked at the
sight of severed pig heads mounted on sticks, a crass taunt aimed at
the police." [...]

Young people tend to be politically unthinking, and liberal arts
professors tend to be arrested young people. But many undergraduates,
encountering the towering stupidity of college radicalism, tenured and
otherwise, chose to be conservative, where conservative meant
deferential to the past, appropriately awed by greatness, calm,
courteous, skeptical and cautious. As Talleyrand immortally put it,
"Above all, no zeal." By definition, "no zeal" doesn't lurch you
anywhere, especially not with the heaving self-certainty that lurched
these writers to the right. For them the primal scene of revulsion at
the liberal mind-set stays forever fresh. "By virtue of its
one-sidedness and extremism," Stanley Kurtz writes, "the academy
serves as a key generator of our polarized political and cultural
battles." At Yale, Heather Mac Donald discovered the sorcery known as
deconstruction, then "watched with horror as the multicultural yahoos
took over the humanities." Dinesh D'Souza arrived at Dartmouth a
moderate-to-liberal kid from Mumbai, only to discover a faculty
infiltrated by radical feministas, women who "made statements to the
effect that all males were potential rapists." Fighting fire with
fire, D'Souza recalls with relish the tasteless gay jokes he published
while at The Dartmouth Review and how one of his heroes, an English
professor named Jeffrey Hart, once wrote an article arguing that the
school's apartheid protestors were really "protesting their own
ugliness."

Here we near the answer to our riddle: how privileged college
graduates, while fronting for the interests of corporations and the
rich, speak the language of angry populism, and with such depth of
conviction. [...]

Full: <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/books/review/Metcalf-t.html?ref=review>