[Marxism] The transition to capitalism: is it in our genes?

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 02:53:10 MDT 2007

On 8/8/07, Auguste Blanqui <blanquist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Almost everything?  I've asked you for one example of where a
> behavioral trait like those described in the piece (diligence et. al)
> can be genetically based, and you haven't provided. anything.

I had said: "But almost *everything* is due to genetic AND
environmental reasons."
Why would you ask me to give you an example of something that is only
"genetically based", since almost nothing is?

> And what biology are you reading?  Go read "Not in Our Genes" before
> saying this fin-de-siecle crap is "widely accepted."

By "fin-de-siecle" I assume that you  mean the end of the 20th
century. But "Not in Our Genes" was written in 1985.

I'm not sure which part of what I wrote you're disputing. I wrote:
"Almost *everything* is due to genetic AND environmental reasons.
Very few things are caused by purely one or the other. The environment
(and other genes) profoundly influence how a gene gets "expressed" as
a phenotypic effect. This is now widely  accepted in biology."

What is your counter-claim? That everything is caused by *only* the environment?