[Marxism] The transition to capitalism: is it in our genes?

Jscotlive at aol.com Jscotlive at aol.com
Wed Aug 8 03:16:29 MDT 2007

But notice that, in the "transition to capitalism" case, you  don't
actually need to have individuals literally dying and being  replaced
by others in the population. All that happens in the model is  that
those with the "more-favorable-to capitalism" gene set acquire  more
wealth, and thus become socially/culturally dominant in society.  The
process repeats with their progeny, of course. So four and  five
generations could be more than enough.

Reply:

Genes determine physical characteristics, traits, while our  environment AND
how we adapt to our environment and experiences determines our  behaviour,
response, and ability to survive in any particular environment. This  ability to
adapt is due to a number of factors, which again are linked to our  place in
society and/or a family unit, which serves to determine an outlook that
triggers a need or desire to learn and develop brain or brawn.

The same genes in different environments - i.e. poverty stricken at  one end
of the scale and extreme wealth at the other - will produce a different  human
being in terms of outlook, behaviour and social and cultural development.
There of course are always exceptions to the rule, but they are  exceptions.

Remember the adage: a man thinks differently in a palace than he does in a
mud hut. He also behaves differently.

Anything which attempts to ascribe genetic factors to class distinctions,
power and privilege is an exercise in support of the inequality and barbarism of
 the status quo.