[Marxism] The transition to capitalism: is it in our genes?

Einde O'Callaghan einde at gmx.de
Wed Aug 8 08:51:46 MDT 2007

Sayan Bhattacharyya schrieb:
> On 8/8/07, Lajany Otum <lajany_otum at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Oh yeah, the British Empire was built on the middle class values of non-violence,
>>literacy and long working hours.... I don't suppose either the author or the
>>Joker who forwarded this shit had in mind the long working hours of the slaves
>>on plantations in in the West Indies, or the children working the English mines,
>

> I'm sure you realize that there is a distinction between institutional
> violence and individual violence?
>
> Let's re-read: "The change was one in which people gradually developed
> the strange new behaviors required to make a modern economy work. The
> middle-class values of nonviolence, literacy, long working hours and a
> willingness to save emerged only recently in human history, Dr. Clark
> argues."

I seem to recall taht non-violence played an important role in the
development of Buddhism, about 2,000 years before the emergence of the
modern bourgeoisie - and long working hours have been a characteristic
of most class societies since the development of agriculture - and
saving entails consistently having a sufficient surplus. That leaves
just literacy as a particularly new characteristic - but even at the
time of the French Revolution the majority of the French population was
illiterate.

the argument just doesn't hang together.

At the beginning of this discussion you raised Marx's dictum "Doubt
everything", but I don't detect any element of doubt in your
contributions here, just groping around for possible biological
explanations on the basis of poorly digested evolutionary theory.

Einde O'Callaghan