[Marxism] The transition to capitalism: is it in our genes?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Aug 8 09:03:03 MDT 2007

Sayan wrote:

>Let's re-read: "The change was one in which people gradually developed
>the strange new behaviors required to make a modern economy work. The
>middle-class values of nonviolence, literacy, long working hours and a
>willingness to save emerged only recently in human history, Dr. Clark
>argues."

This is obvious nonsense for multiple reasons, none having anything to
do with the ideological controversy about "sociobiology."

1.  "long working hours" is not, has never been, and never will be a human
      value.  Humans of all classes seek to reduce their labor to as short a
     time as the constraints of economics and of the nature of the task at
      hand will allow.  This is as absolute a part of animal,
including human, nature as can be imagined to exist.

2.   "nonviolence, literacy,  and a willingness to save" have for millennia
       been dominant values within Jewish and Chinese societies, among
       others.

3.   "nonviolence, literacy,  and a willingness to save"  are totally alien
        values among young children of all societies and classes.  But almost
        all children, from those of the most "primitive" to the most
"elite" of
	                            genetic backgrounds, quickly
acquire those values when appropriately
acculturated.

Shane Mage

"This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is
and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out
in measures."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 30