[Marxism] Bonds Hits No. 756 to Break Hank Aaron's Record

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 8 18:18:57 MDT 2007

Danielle Ni Dhighe wrote:

> At 04:28 PM 8/8/2007, Carrol Cox wrote:
>  >Let us say that impolite blacks have always gotten very
>  >bad treatment from u.s. sports writers.
>
> Oh, I don't disagree, but I think the idea that criticism is only
> coming from sports writers is incorrect.  There are many ordinary
> sports fans (of all colors) who feel, well, cheated by the
> possibility that Barry Bonds' performance on the baseball field was
> enhanced (and, in fact, there is sound reason for their suspicion,
> despite nothing being proven in court).  Writing it off as a case of
> racism, as Walter and the articles he posted did, is offensive.

You ought to read the Tribune column I posted the URL for. The fact is
that of his rather astounding record only a few parts can be attributed
to steroids. "Ordinary sports fans" tend to get an awful lot of their
information _and attitudes_ from sports writers. If they feel cheated it
is because the sports writers have focused on two things: home runs &
steroids, ignoring so much else in his career. He stole 500 bases.
Nothing to do with steroids. He hit .370 one season. Nothing to do with
steroids. He struck out much less than most heavy home-run hitters. On &
on. Achievements that had nothing to do with steroids, yet the sports
writers balther away about home runs and steroids -- and his surliness.
He's no surlier than Williams or Dimaggio. A rather large number of
sports heroes have clay feet of one kind or another, yet it is almost
_always_ only blacks who get called on it by both writers and "ordinary
sports fans." A lot of ordinary people voted for  Bush and hate Reds.

Carrol