[Marxism] Bonds Hits No. 756 to Break Hank Aaron's Record,

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Aug 8 18:32:33 MDT 2007

David Walters writes:

> I've have yet to hear anything from anyone that is remotely racist
> *openly* about Bond's suspected use of performance enhancing drugs. This
> includes Bob Costas' ramblings on The News Hour tonight or anyone on
> talk radio. This is much is obvious. Nor has Bonds received the sort of
> racist deluge that occurred when Hank Aaron was approaching the Babe
> Ruth record.

> 1. Did Bonds record rise in the stats (in baseball, it's all about the
> statistics) result from using drugs.
> 2. Does the discussion such as it is in the press involve an *objective*
> form of racism in that the controversy would be *less* if Bonds was say
> Latino, or White.

[...]

> On pt. 2. The idea, to me anyway, that there is some sort of latent
> racism involved in raising/pointing to/concluding that Barry Bonds broke
> the home run record *already broken by an African American* among REAL
> racist threats and taunts, is, really, absurd. If any other player was
> using performance enhancing drugs who was White (or whatever) there
> would be as much news about this as there is about bonds. Don't you all
> remember the lead story-on-national-news when MLB was in the pits over
> various users of drugs by White and Latino players? Are your memories
> that short? Do you think THAT news was downplayed because many of these
> players were White???? Seriously?
============================
Actually, you have reminded me of the similar controversy surrounding Mark
McGuire, who first broke Ruth's record by hitting 70 homers in 1998.
Ironically, it was Bonds who broke McGuire's record three years later when
he hit 73. McGuire was widely suspected of using steroids and it similarly
tainted his record-breaking run. Last year or the year before, he was
nominated to the baseball Hall of Fame, which under notmal circumstances
would have been a shoo-in for breaking the Babe's record, but, if I recall
correctly, received less than a quarter of the votes cast. As in so  many
things, I think the use of performing-enhancing drugs or equipment (Sammy
Sosa's corked bat) has upset fans because they have collectively robbed the
game of its it's mythical "innocence" and charm, and Americans are a
notoriously sentimental and myth-loving people.