[Marxism] Israel's embarrassing 1948 history

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Wed Aug 8 20:51:15 MDT 2007

Avigail Abarbanel is a tzavarit (fem. for tzabra, Israeli-born and
raised Jew) who quit Zionism and Israel and keeps now a website
against Zionism. I contacted her some weeks ago, and she sent me as a
gift "The other side of Israel", a most interesting book (Nan A.
Talese  /  Doubleday, 2005) by Susan Nathan, a British born Jewish
woman who was a Zionist for most of her life, knew the intimacies of
Apartheid South Africa and moved to Israel by the mid-late 1990s only
to discover what it was that Zionism was all about.

The book is partly autobiographic, partly sociological, partly
theoretical, and overall scathingly destructive of every Zionist
tenet.

What makes the book so interesting is that Nathan does not focus on
the Palestinians living in the occupied territories, but rather on
the  Israeli citizens of Arab origin. These live in better conditions
than those under occupation. But, and this is the important issue
here, since they are ISRAELI CITIZENS their oppression is twice as
callous, the infamous Apartheid state features of Israel become twice
as evident, and their situation provides the best criticism to the
Zionist enterprise.

Nathan, who has decided to live in an Arab Israeli town (one of the
very few Jews in Israel to make such a decission), knows what she is
speaking about. Most commendable reading for those interested in the
inner fabric of the State of Israel.