[Marxism] On Barry and Baseball

Naveen Jaganathan naveenkj3 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 19:10:39 MDT 2007

It is quite telling how the discourse on racism has moved so far to the
right, when you have to defend Bonds' achievement to Marxists.  The Left has
adapted to the era of color-blind racism, when somehow what White people
think about Bonds -- assumption of guilt, cheater, etc. -- can indeed be
defended as "objective," removed from a racist context.  It apparently
doesn't matter that a vast majority of Black people have an "objectively"
different view of these things, root for Bonds, while being derided by White
America. To people of color, this is just another example of the criminal
justice system railroading a brother.  That Bonds himself will stand up to
the racism, that he will call the system into question, bring charges
against the sports-industrial-complex -- the reason he is feared and
demonized -- that a Black sociologist of sports, Henry Edwards would claim a
similarity between the vilification of Aaron, and of Bonds, should put
Marxist on alert and ready to defend against racism. That some on this list
would flippantly dismiss that racism has anything to do with the criticisms
of Bonds, and worse yet, pander to the "common sense" acceptance of the
White mainstream, that Bonds must have cheated, speaks to the sliding to the
right of some on the left on the question of race.  We are living through a
time when something like the case of the Jena 6 can happen without
mainstream criticism -- as if the victory of the Scottsboro boys and the
civil rights movement never took place in history.

--Naveen.