[Marxism] Genes, behaviour and dialectics (was The transition to capitalism...)

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 18:19:54 MDT 2007

On 8/9/07, Rohan Gaiswinkler <rohanger at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>   To me the fact that you can't identify obvious biological determinist and potentially racist
>    psychobabble horseshit when you see it

As the Barry Bonds discussion between Danielle and Naveen ought to
have made clear by now,   if we start denouncing things because they
are "potentially racist", then we will end up throwing an awful lot of
perfectly good babies along with the dirty bathwater.

And... "deterministic"?

"The reason why dialectics demands CONTEXT is because
different levels of generality will yield different relations.  The
entity is what it is independent of what human beings think or feel.  But
how we conceptualize the entity's relations very much depends on the
level of generality upon which we concentrate.  Without specifying
context, we fall victim to the fallacies of strict organicity, in which
the entity can NEVER be defined adequately because it must ultimately be
related to everything else in the universe, which, by the way, we will
never know."
                        -- Chris Sciabarra,
<http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/1995-06-30.000/msg00018.htm>