[Marxism] On Barry and Baseball

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 13:57:38 MDT 2007

On 8/11/07, Naveen Jaganathan <naveenkj3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On a related note, do we not fight anything that's not explicitly racist:
> Sociobiology, criminal justice system, Jena 6 -- no prosecutor used the
> N-word.

Of course the criminal justice system shows structural/institutional
racism, which should be fought. However, poor whites are victims of
the criminal justice system too, markedly so. One's chances of getting
convicted is a lot higher when you are unable to afford a lawyer and
have to depend on  overworked or poorly paid public defenders. The
criminal justice system is an example of class injustice at least as
much as it is an example of racial injustice!

As for "fighting sociobiology", I'm not sure what that is supposed to
mean. Sociobiology is scholarly work carried out by academics in
academia. "Fighting" this work seems remarkably close to advocacy of
censorship. Left academics should criticize sociobiology based on the
content of the scholarship. Calls to "fight" sociobiology on
ideological grounds seem churlish at best, ominous and dangerous at
worst.