[Marxism] Freeman Dyson on scientific heretics and climate change

Bob Hopson bobhpsn at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 15:49:18 MDT 2007

--- Les Schaffer <schaffer at optonline.net> wrote:

> you got your work cut out for you then, see below.

Dyson's article in no way contradicts the fact that
some parts of the globe are getting warmer, and that
this may have dramatic impact on the local ecology.
The fact that rainforest growth is slowing does not
mean that the potential for greater plant
growth/carbon sequestering is slowing everywhere.
Seems like a red herring to me.

> its kind of cute how people criticize big time
> science and its hierarchy
> at one moment, but when some well known knucklehead
> speaks their
> language, the savior has arrived. in fact, its kind
> of interesting that

So if Dyson's substantial credentials as a physicist
make him a knucklehead, what should we think of you?

I don't think Dyson is a "savior", I don't even really
dispute the consensus by climatologists; what I find
"cute" is how quickly professional scientists get
riled when anyone questions orthodoxy.  Shouldn't the
occasional "what if my assumptions are wrong?" be part
of every good scientists' toolkit?

As a general rule, I've found that an experienced
outsider can often make worthwhile critiques of the
work of experts, groupthink, etc.  Are you saying that
"being in the trenches" *automatically* means you are
more correct than anyone outside the trenches?

I work as a software designer, and let me tell you,
the end users who have no idea of what I do or how I
do it are the best critics of all, because they don't
share any of my assumptions about design, etc.