[Marxism] On Barry and Baseball

Naveen Jaganathan naveenkj3 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 20:09:10 MDT 2007

"Of course the criminal justice system shows structural/institutional
racism, which should be fought. However, poor whites are victims of
the criminal justice system too, markedly so. One's chances of getting
convicted is a lot higher when you are unable to afford a lawyer and
have to depend on  overworked or poorly paid public defenders. The
criminal justice system is an example of class injustice at least as
much as it is an example of racial injustice!"

Of course, class society is the basis for racism to being with.  And racial
injustices are also class injustices.
To me they are not separate -- especially in the American setting.  But you
can't deny the exaggerated oppression of minorities caught in the criminal
justice system.  A entire generation of young Black men are in prison, on
their way to prison, or somehow tied up in the criminal injustice system.
Entire communities are destroyed.  Race plays a crucial role in sentencing,
from the point of when the law is written to the judge handing down the
punishment.  In other words, racism brings to bear "double oppression" for
people of color in the working class.

--N.