[Marxism] Bonds, Genes, Racism

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 21:41:46 MDT 2007

On 8/11/07, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> Wilson proudly says of
> himself, "At my core, I am a social conservative, a loyalist. I cherish
> traditional institutions, the more venerable and ritual-laden the better."

Louis,

As you surely know, John Maynard Smith, the British biologist who
applied game theory to evolution and is prominently listed as a
sociobiologist in Wikipedia's Sociobiology page, was a Marxist.

As in questions of science, the important point is whether the
scholarship is good or flawed. So, criticism must be directed at the
science itself, not at the political views of the practitioners of the
science. Gould, Lowentin, etc. have done the former. Regrettably,
Rosenthal's article is a string of instances of the latter.