[Marxism] Reminder

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Sun Aug 12 09:37:54 MDT 2007

I'm not sure Sayan was ever "curious" about Marxism in the sense of
exploring the ideas.  He is, like a good friend of mine at work, a
contrarian eager to stimulate argument for the sake of argument.  And, if
he's the only one taking the position...and if that position is based as
much on word games as anything else...all the more fun.

His presence in the discussion of racism made a serious discussion of a
complex question utterly impossible, since his goal seemed to be just
pissing off almost everyone else on the list.

Racism is central to the problems we face in the U.S. and it ALMOST NEVER
gets SERIOUSLY discussed.  Efforts to do so invariably get subsumed into the
emotionally gratifying tirades against racism, which are equated with
fighting racism, even in circumstances where it's pointless.  This mirrors
the systematic and ceaseless institutional discourse on race, WHICH TAKES
PLACE PRIMARILY TO DISGUISE THE ABSOLUTE LACK OF ANY REAL MOTION OR ACTION
ON THE ISSUE.

Solidarity!
Mark L.