[Marxism] Moe Fishman

jk68 jkayo68 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 10:54:10 MDT 2007

I remember seeing him at the Feb. 15, 2003 antiwar demonstration in New
York. He was standing on the sidewalk as the march went by, holding up the
Veterans of the Abe Lincoln Brigade's banner. I went over and chatted with
him for a few minutes. He was warm, funny, and sharp as a tack. I remember
walking away hoping I could be that vibrant when/if I reach my late 80s.

Also, I liked this section of the obit:

"He also liked how the Communists responded when a family behind on the
rent was evicted and thrown on the streets with its furniture. He told
The Times that party members would use an ax or hammer to break the lock
on the door and put the family back in."

I was talking with my grandparents and great aunt about a year ago. They all
grew up in New York City during the depression. My aunt mentioned seeing a
scene like this when she was young, whereupon my grandmother said something
like "but they were Communists!". My aunt replied, "I don't care who they
were. They were for the people." I hope we can build a left that has that
kind of clout with regular folks.

jk