[Marxism] The transition to capitalism: is it in our genes?

D.Q. Williams deshawn.q.williams at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 22:27:54 MDT 2007

On 8/7/07, Sayan Bhattacharyya <ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/7/07, Auguste Blanqui <blanquist at gmail.com> wrote:

> > And he
> > doesn't even get evolutionary theory right -- he's talking about a
> > dramatic change over the span of about a century!!!
>
> That could be enough time. See:
>
> "The evolution of the peppered moth over the last two hundred years

I'm not an expert in biology or genetics by any means. But there does
seem to be reports of pretty fast phenotypic change as a result of
evolution within a short span of time:

Time changes modern human's face
By Rebecca Morelle
BBC News science reporter

"Researchers have found that the shape of the human skull has changed
significantly over the past 650 years.

Modern people possess less prominent features but higher foreheads
than our medieval ancestors.

Dr Peter Rock, lead author of the study and director of orthodontistry
at Birmingham University, told the BBC News website: "The astonishing
finding is the increased cranial vault heights.

"The increase is very considerable. For example, the vault height of
the plague skulls were 80mm, and the modern ones were 95mm - that's in
the order of 20% bigger, which is really rather a lot."

He suggests that the increase in size may be due to an increase in
mental capacity over the ages."