[Marxism] Boston MayDay Coalition: Statement on recent ICE raid in Chelsea, Massachusetts

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Mon Aug 13 09:54:41 MDT 2007

STOP THE WAR ON IMMIGRANTS!
STOP THE RAIDS!
Statement by the Boston May Day Coalition about the recent ICE raid in
Chelsea, Massachusetts

Boston, August 13, 2007. - Another immigration raid has
taken place in the usual military style, this time in Chelsea,
Massachusetts. Proclaiming that they were going after
“criminals”, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
agents rounded up 27 “Brazilians” in yet another effort to
terrorize our immigrant community. According to ICE, the 27
arrested were part of “identity-fraud rings” that sold workers'
permits and green cards to undocumented migrants. According
to affidavits, an ICE agent over an extended period sold false
documents to a group of undocumented migrants for
thousands of dollars. ICE then made the arrests. This operation
reflects the business as usual atmosphere in this country where
the government fleeces undocumented workers of their money
and then they are hauled off to jail.

The Market Basket supermarket raid by ICE was no accident.
This supermarket for many years has been an important place
of commerce for the largely immigrant community in this city.
Municipal officials here recently declared Chelsea a sanctuary
city that welcomes immigrants regardless of their legal status.
Now, as it can be expected, many residents fear that their
community is a target by the Department of Homeland
Security.

Migrant workers are victims throughout the country in the
overall drive to undermine the rights working people, migrant
and native born alike. These attacks seek to weaken our
solidarity and scapegoat migrants for the problems we face.
Criminalizing migrant workers provides a useful cover for the
criminals in Washington who enjoy immunity for their crimes
against humanity.

We warn everyone concerned about justice for migrant
workers NOT to be fooled by the propaganda coming from
ICE, their partners in the media, or by Chelsea City officials.
This raid is an attack on all migrant workers and we should all,
migrant and native born alike, condemn this raid and the
others that will follow. We call on all who support justice to
demand the immediate end to the raids, arrests, and
deportations throughout the country and full, immediate,
unconditional, and non-revocable legal residence for all
undocumented migrants and their families.

If the undocumented migrant workers who reside here were
able to obtain permanent residency, then the selling of
documents would not be necessary. There would be no raids if
the draconian police state legal framework did not exist. As
long as the long arm of ICE is able to reach in and terrorize
our communities, then none of us is safe from government
repression.

As the federal government through the Homeland Security
ICE Police increases its terror offensive against undocumented
workers, we must step up our active opposition to this fear
campaign. As we prepare to commemorate the execution of
two Italian immigrant workers in 1927, Sacco and Vanzetti, it
is imperative that we join in the march scheduled for
Thursday, August 23, at 4pm from Copley Square to the North
End. Eighty years have passed since the judicial murder of
these two immigrant workers in the days when it was easy to
scapegoat the Italians. They were falsely accused of a crime
they did not commit because of their political beliefs. Today,
it seems like not much has changed with the exception of the
scapegoats, now they are Latino immigrants and immigrants
of color.

These raids are happening just as the Bush administration
releases its Strategic Plan for Enforcement, which is even
more of the same, more raids, increasing expenses for
repression, and further militarization -- and everybody should
take note of this -- not only of the borders but of the entire
country.

WE JOIN THE SACCO VANZETTI MARCH ON AUGUST
23 TO DEMAND AN END TO STATE REPRESSION OF
MIGRANT WORKERS!

WE DEMAND AND END TO THE RAIDS!

WE DEMAND THAT THE U.S. SIGN THE U.N.
CONVENTION ON THE PROTECTION OF THE RIGHTS
OF ALL MIGRANT WORKERS AND THEIR FAMILIES!

WE DEMAND AN END TO THIS WAR AGAINST
IMMIGRANTS AND AN END TO ALL WARS THE U.S.
WAGES AGAINST WORKERS HERE AND IN THE
WORLD!

WE ENCOURAGE ALL COMMUNITIES TO ORGANIZE
RAPID RESPONSE NETWORKS AGAINST ICE RAIDS
AND ATTACKS ON MIGRANT WORKERS!

Sign our petitions on-line to stop the raids and for the U.S. to
sign the UN Convention on the Protection of Rights of All
Migrant Workers and their Families.

www.bostonmayday.org