[Marxism] Good news story from South Africa: Africa's gay haven

glparramatta glparramatta at greenleft.org.au
Mon Aug 13 17:06:31 MDT 2007

It is accounted for by the strong gay and lesbian rights movement that
fought throughout the apartheid period and beyond, and made was integral
to the anti-apartheid movement. It made clear and convince many
anti-apartheid activists, especially those on the left of the Tripartite
Alliance that all discrimination, not just racial discrimination, must
be (at least at the formal legislative level) eliminated. It is also
accounted for by the more recent post-apartheid mass campaign by the
Treatement Action Campaign for access to anti-AIDS drugs, over the
objections of the dominant AIDS-denialists within the ANC regime (whose
pseudo-scintific ramblings against treatment for AIDS sufferers, is
cover to refuse to pay the costs of these in favour of massive tax cuts
for big business and the wealthy in every post apartheid budget).

Of course, that isn't the end of it. There is presently a developing
camapign against a spate of hate crimes in the Johannesburg townships
and Mbeki's government is continuing on its AIDS denialism antics.

For more background see http://tinyurl.com/yslnrz

Norm.