[Marxism] Origins of "Immanent Critique"?

David Siar dsiar at triad.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 15:13:26 MDT 2007

A friend of mine from U.C. Davis posed the following question on
another list.  Anyone have an answer that I can forward to him?

Thanks,
Dave Siar

Does anyone know where the term "immanent critique" originates?  The
idea itself goes back to Hegel and Marx, of course, but I'm
embarrassed to say that I don't know with certainty of anyone using
this exact term prior to Adorno and Horkheimer.  Does Marx himself
use the term?  Or the early Lukács?  Any help with this much
appreciated.