[Marxism] Re; Indo-US Nuclear Deal: 123 Agreement

David Walters dave.walters at comcast.net
Tue Aug 14 21:06:49 MDT 2007

Sukla, you don't get it. India is doing *exactly* what Brazil and
Argentina is doing (which I notice has raised a single hackle here on
this list). The driving force is energy, no bombs. Bombs have held up
India's access to the energy (IMO). The article in  /Analytical Monthly
Review/, published in Kharagpur, West Bengal, India is spot on and you
have not challenged ONE assertion in the article...that is, that the US
ends of up controlling India's access to fuel supplies to it's new
reactors. This puts you in an awkward place because you don't think
India ought to develop nuclear energy, so you don't necessarily see this
as a bad thing, I would suppose. I've been arguing from the beginning
that the problem with what has become the 123 Agreement is *sovereignty*
and nothing else.

You should address the points in this well written article.

On nuclear weapons. If you don't believe your country should have
nuclear weapons then *get rid* of the nuclear weapons. It's a policy or
programmatic position. You are either for or against them and then act
accordingly. If you are serious about the threat they poise to India,
then don't *hinder* the campaign against them by latching them on to
nuclear energy because of the misperceived notion that weapons somehow
organically flow from the energy side of the equation. There are
probably millions of Indians who abhor their country's procession of
nuclear bombs but support India trying to develop a safe, clean and
cheap energy source such as nuclear fission. By tying them together as
you do you neither fight nuclear weapons or enlighten anyone on the
reality of nuclear energy.

David