[Marxism] Oppose the Indo-US Nuclear Deal and 123 Agreement: Press release

David Walters dave.walters at comcast.net
Wed Aug 15 12:11:43 MDT 2007

So, what I get from this group, ABOLITION 2000, is that they *support*
the US imposed ban on the sale of nuclear technology to India based on
*US laws* about non-proliferation. They are in favor of the US using
it's imperialist might to dictate who can and cannot use nuclear
technology. Sukla, does this bother you at all?

Naveem, you could well be correct about your view of the strategic
military aspects of this agreement. Clearly the dynamic of the US-India
relationship has been improving for the US. Obviously the irony of the
visit by a US nuclear powered and armed air-craft carrier being escorted
by fly-byes by the Indian Air Force with Russian made MIGs can't be lost
on any one.

That the motivation for the whole agreement is military is still
something that is very highly speculative and unprovable (not to say
it's wrong, just that you couldn't really prove it). One of the problems
one gets into is that the excuse of non-proliferation is being used to
stymie legitimate development of nuclear energy. The same argument could
be used against any country that wants to use nuclear energy. The facts
are that India already had the bomb and it has a sophisticated nuclear
energy infrastructure.

I've already received numerous e-mails (as I did last time this came up
a month ago) from Indians who hold my position on this: no to nuclear
bombs, yes to nuclear energy, or at least separating the issues. Even
though, being a Yankee anti-imperialist, I have to defend the right of
the Indian *nation* to pursue nuclear weapons, at least until the US and
other NATO countries ALSO agree to disarm...otherwise there really isn't
a discussion.  But even this is secondary, politically speaking, to the
issue of the right of India not to be pushed around by the US Congress
and Dept. of State. This deal was cut by the Indian gov't essentially
begging the US to set it free from constraints in nuclear trade while
actually reimposing other constraints.

David