[Marxism] Why put the left's efforts into a Third Party, Greens or otherwise?

Anthony Boynton northbogota at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 13:12:47 MDT 2007

Bush, Congress duel for least favorable

By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent 1 hour, 25
minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Democratic-controlled Congress and
President Bush seem locked in a perverse competition
for public unfavorability, according to a new
Associated Press-Ipsos poll.

The survey shows Bush's approval ratings at 35
percent, and Congress' even lower, 25 percent. Only 27
percent of those polled said the country is headed in
the right direction, and 39 percent said they support
the Iraq war, with 58 percent opposed.

While Bush's favorability ratings have remained
relatively unchanged for months, Congress' support
declined markedly between May and July, a dip
confirmed in a poll of 1,003 people taken last week.

Asked whether they approve or disapprove of the way
Congress is handling its job after seven months of
divided government, those surveyed were then prompted
to volunteer a reason.

Of the 74 percent of those expressing congressional
disapproval, 22 percent said lawmakers generally
aren't doing their jobs. Another 20 percent cited a
specific issue for their unhappiness. Twelve percent
said they disapprove of Congress because lawmakers
care only about themselves and their party, while 10
percent cited backstabbing and infighting.

Among those who cited an issue, the war in Iraq was
mentioned most often. It was cited by 7 percent of
those disapproving of Congress' performance, followed
by health care, 5 percent; immigration, 2 percent and
employment and wage issues, 2 percent.

The survey was taken as Congress was beginning its
August recess, providing a respite from months of
unsuccessfully trying to force Bush to change course
in Iraq.

Democratic leaders have vowed to renew their challenge
to Bush when they return to the Capitol after Labor
Day. An autumn clash also looms over federal spending,
and Bush has posted veto threats against bills dealing
with farm programs, expansion of children's health
care and energy.

"I don't think this war is going the way it should be.
We're over there for nothing," said Richard Reda, 64,
of Nashua, N.H., a Vietenam War veteran and
self-described political independent.

In an interview, he said, "I think Congress should go
over Bush's head and get these troops back here.
There's got to be a way where they can override Bush
to get the troops back here."

Maria Guyan, a 28-year-old school secretary from
Struthers, Ohio, agreed. Guyan described her politics
as "lean Democrat" and said, "I just don't think
they're doing enough to keep President Bush from
basically going forward on whatever he wants."

She said Congress should focus most on withdrawing
from Iraq and improving the nation's education system.

"We definitely need to get out of the war, and we need
to basically just realize we cannot run another
country in addition to our own," she said.

But Peggy Grandinetti, 69, a Republican from Florence,
Ala., criticized Congress for not standing by Bush on
the war.

"I just completely disagree of pulling out of Iraq. I
think we ought to stay there and finish the job," said
the retired medical assistant.

Richard Henson, 58, of Atlanta, Ga., was among the
Democrats who said Congress has failed to address a
problem with illegal immigration.

"The immigrants are running bills up," said the post
office manager, citing health care and school taxes as
examples. "We have to pay extra taxes to support
illegal immigrants. I don't think they should benefit
from our services that we're paying taxes on."

Wes Kangas, 65, a Republican and retired banker in
Vancouver, Wash., expressed weariness. "They don't
seem to get anything done. All they do is bicker back
and forth. After a while it gets kind of old," he
said.

Republicans were more likely to say Congress wasn't
doing its job, 26 percent, while Democrats tended to
cite a specific issue, 24 percent. Among independents,
22 percent said generally that lawmakers weren't doing
their job, and 20 percent pointed to a specific issue,
a list topped by the war in Iraq.

When it came to judging Bush, 70 percent of
Republicans approved of his performance, with 27
percent disapproving. Democrats split 89-9 in
disapproval, and 68 percent of independents
disapproved.

Congress, by contrast, was held in disregard without
regard to party.

Among independents, 73 percent said they disapproved
of the way Congress was handling its job, with 23
percent expressing approval. Among Democrats, a
striking 70 percent disapproved and 26 percent
approved, while Republicans split, 74-23, in
disapproval.

The poll's margin of error was plus or minus three
percentage points.