[Marxism] Mielants

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Aug 17 12:09:45 MDT 2007

> Louis,
> What does Mielants say about the importance of the Atlantic trade? Intra
> European trade did not itself seem to have led to the consolidation of
> merchant power, institutional change and industrialization. Harman gives
> the example of the Medicis. But the Dutch and English merchants were able
> to revolutionize society, on the basis the power derived  from Atlantic
> trade against the backdrop of weak states. So perhaps the intra European
> network of relatively autonomous cities trading surpluses was not as
> important as Prem Shankar Jha and Saskia Sassen think it was to the rise
> of the West.
> Rakesh

Mielants's focus is *entirely* on the pre-1492 period. And anything
afterwards is strictly concerned with Asia and North Africa. I, of
course, have a problem with that. Here is the one place where he
addresses the question. I leave in his citations, just to give a flavor
of the depth of his research.

---
I do not challenge the fact that after 1500, capitalist logic
intensified because of the "the great maritime discoveries" (See
1928:41)96 and the subsequent profits based on increased trade and
exploitation of "non-Europe."97 Nor do I deny the emergence of an
inter-state system after 1500 or the shifts between different hegemonies
(e.g., Arrighi 1994). How then can one accept general concepts of the
world-systems analysis and explain the emergence of capitalism in the
late Middle Ages?98 If one accepts the fact that merchant capitalism was
already maturing in Europe prior to the 16th century, the development of
a true World system after 1492 is not empirically challenged. What needs
to be rethought and explored is the emergence of capitalism in medieval
Europe before it expanded into a world-economy. This emergence could be
seen in the exploitation of wage labor; class struggles; the
reallocation of capital; the exploitation of a peripheral countryside by
an urban core; the substitution of labor power with technological
inventions (e.g., wind and water mills) in order to minimize labor costs
and further the endless accumulation of capital; the commoditization of
the material world; and the rationalization of the spiritual world. In
short, modern features of contemporary capitalism found their roots in
the Middle Ages. "As the high Middle Ages unfolded, European societies
experienced impressive rates of economic growth in terms of real GDP per
capita" (Snooks 1996:305). And it was precisely within the urban nexus
of medieval Western Europe that this self-sustained economic growth was
accomplished (van Uytven 1987:127).99

97.  It is clear that after 1492, "the combined output of central
European and American mines supplied the treasuries of western Europe
with large quantities of precious metals. The accumulated resources
induced them to increase their commercial activities with the East. In
due time, the influx of silver, coupled with the high value placed on
this specie in the East, enabled Europeans to monopolize the trade of
Asiatic countries and subordinate their economies, thereby laying the
foundations of European domination and colonialism in the region. This
domination ultimately enabled the Europeans to [channel] wealth and
resources from every corner of that continent back to Europe" (Bozorgnia
1998:180).

98. This must be done without using the extreme form of holism embodied
in [A.G.] Frank's post-1990 research. When he claims that "our world
system began thousands of years earlier," he does not seem to realize
that while most of the historians he is quoting in his lengthy review
talk about trade linkages prior to A.D. 1500, they do not claim that the
Eurasian market "rested on a truly international division of labor with
a unified monetary system" (Frank 1990:165, 197).

99. For Blockmans (1997:30), the 11th century is the moment that brings
about recurring growth: The eleventh century gave Europe a new face and
set in place a dynamic which was never interrupted and is still
maintained on a global scale.... The continuous growth of production and
if population, together with the formation of states and the development
of a capitalist market economy, started in that period. In some areas
these developments took place earlier than in eithers, but the trend was
established.... Here and there there was stagnation and regression, but
the dynamic of the system continued to be operative over the long term,
and still is." Blockmans presents convincing evidence in his magnum opus
on the longue duree. What is problematic, however, is his Eurocentrism.
In dealing with ten centuries of European history, Blockmans hardly lays
any attention to other civilizations or even to the issue of
colonization, a neglect he legitimizes by stating that "with the
exception of the effects of Arabic science in southern Spain and Sicily
luring the Middle Ages, influences from outside Europe only became
decisive in the twentieth century" (1997:30). Given that this was
written in the late 1990s, it is an extreme "internalist" position.