[Marxism] A view by seven U.S. soldiers in Iraq of the war

Joaquin Bustelo jbustelo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 10:40:47 MDT 2007

	Today the NY Times has an extraordinary article signed by seven
members of the 82nd Airborne Division now concluding a 15-month tour of duty
in Iraq that explains why all he happytalk now filling the airwaves about
"progress" in Iraq is so much hokum.

	"To believe that Americans, with an occupying force that long ago
outlived its reluctant welcome, can win over a recalcitrant local population
and win this counterinsurgency is far-fetched....

	"we operate in a bewildering context of determined enemies and
questionable allies, one where the balance of forces on the ground remains
entirely unclear....

	"the most important front in the counterinsurgency, improving basic
social and economic conditions, is the one on which we have failed most
miserably....

	"Four years into our occupation, we have failed on every promise....

	"In the end, we need to recognize that our presence may have
released Iraqis from the grip of a tyrant, but that it has also robbed them
of their self-respect. They will soon realize that the best way to regain
dignity is to call us what we are - an army of occupation - and force our
withdrawal."

	The article is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/opinion/19jayamaha.html?em&ex=1187668800&e
n=02a8021d797ac8b1&ei=5087%0A