[Marxism] Cindy Sheehan from Amman: "Inshallah"

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 19 13:37:32 MDT 2007

“Inshallah”

Cindy Sheehan from Amman

"The statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation
that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those
conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and
refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by
convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the
better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque
self-deception. - "Chronicle of Young Satan" Mark Twain"

The above quote from Mark Twain is how things have always been
throughout the ages and throughout our American experience. These
sentiments allowed an entire native population to be virtually wiped
out and for black Africans to be enslaved for generations. Who cares
if 600,000 Filipinos were wiped out during the Spanish-American War
to “liberate” them from Spain, but to really have a coaling station
for our Navy, or hundreds of thousands of Japanese slaughtered by the
evil h-bomb when those people weren’t even white, Christian
Americans? Now this slimy rationale is allowing for the decimation of
the Iraqi people and we have killed a million during this war to
plant permanent bases there as we have permanent military facilities
in Japan and the Philippines to this day.

Our small peace delegation that traveled here to Amman, Jordan to
meet with refugees and other prominent Iraqis, like physicians and
parliamentarians, have been humbled that these oppressed people would
turn to us, their oppressors, for help. That they would trust us
enough to know that we will help them says a lot about the Iraqi
character and just how desperate they are!

Everyone that we have met stabs me in the heart again. We listen to
their stories and we apologize on behalf of our country and they all,
without fail, look at us with weary smiles filled with resignation of
their fate and say: “inshallah” or “If God wills it.” I wish I had
that simple faith, but I can’t believe that any God, except George’s
God of hatred, destruction, greed, and murder would “will” what is
going on here in the Middle East.

I have already written about Bethena whose body and life were torn
apart by an American mortar. When we promised to help her, her
response was, “Inshallah.”

I met a woman at a hospital yesterday who was kidnapped, tortured and
held for a three hundred thousand dollar ransom. When I told her we
were trying to help get a hospital for Iraqi people, run by Iraqis,
here in Amman, she quietly said: “inshallah,” through her tears.

We have spent a lot of time with an Iraqi parliamentarian whose 10
cousins were slaughtered after “Hamad” had exposed a secret Shi’a
prison that imprisoned, tortured, and killed Sunni. His story is on a
documentary called “Death Squads.” When I saw the footage of the
carnage where his cousins were killed I looked over at him in shock,
and you guessed it, he whispered: “inshallah,” to me.

Our group had a meeting in a Jordanian hospital that is allowing
Iraqi doctors to work and help the refugees. The doctors explained to
us how, if they had their own 50-bed hospital, they could treat the
Iraqi refugees here in Amman at about 40% of the cost of what the
Jordanian hospital charges the refugees. The doctors all had horror
stories of family members being killed, raped, dismembered, displaced
and terrorized. We listened to them vent and explained to them that
we were truly sorry and that’s why we are here, to help. “Inshallah.”

The most touching meeting at the hospital was by a prominent Iraqi
sheikh who had brought another sheikh of an opposite sect to the
hospital after he had survived an assassination attempt. The wounded
sheikh lie on the hospital bed while the other sheikh stood guard
over him. The doctors brought us into the room to dispel the myth of
any prior sectarian strife. The Iraqis wanted to assure us that the
violence between Iraqis is caused and encouraged by the Americans who
want Iraqis fighting each other to create this chaos that allows
America to steal their oil and otherwise destroy their country. The
sheikh told me that he was sorry about Casey, but he has lost 8
family members and many more dozens of members of his tribe. He
encouraged us Americans to rise up against our country and force our
government to end the occupation. I told him that we have been trying
very hard, but we will try harder. He looked skeptical, because he
knows the will of the American public is not to rise up against our
government, and he had that same hopeless look on his face that we
have encountered repeatedly, but he bit his tongue and said:
“Inshallah.”

As we were leaving the hospital, one of the doctors grabbed my hand
and also told me that he was sorry about Casey. In a quiet voice, he
told me that even though it is sad for me to have lost a son that it
was so that I could lead America towards peace and use my sorrow to
help the people of Iraq, “inshallah.” I lost my faith after Casey was
killed and it is so profound to witness the faith of the Iraqi people
when their country has been decimated for no reason, their national
treasures and antiquities destroyed or defiled by barbaric acts, one
million people dead, six million people displaced, and so many
wounded and ill that can’t access medical care. This trip has been so
difficult for us as people with hearts, but it has also reminded me
how fortunate we are to live in a country that has been almost
virtually free from war on our soil for about 150 years, but also so
angry that we allow it to happen to other peoples on their land on an
almost continuing basis. Also, to think that anything is going to
change if a Democrat gets into office is naïve. Bill Clinton is a
Democrat who is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands
of Iraqis more than George. Throughout US History political parties
have interchanged the White House and NOTHING has ever changed. The
fascist power elite will always use their puppet in the White House
to kill other people for their benefit and profit.

The American military has not been victorious in Iraq and we won’t be
as long as we are occupying foreign lands. That is a given. If we
allow the occupation to continue for a decade, our way of life, as we
know it, will die as the Soviet Union did after their decade long
farce in Afghanistan. What we are allowing our government to do in
the Middle East dishonors and endangers us all. Like the
parliamentarian from the city that was totally shattered by the
Marines, Falluja, told me: “You Americans are also being held hostage
by your government,” and he is right.

As the sheikh told me: We must rise up. We must assert our need for
peace with justice, not only to save our troops who are in harm’s way
for Halliburton, et al, but for the dear people of Iraq who never
asked for the US to “liberate” them. Our governments don’t care about
them, or us, so we must care about each other.

Since this is a piece about faith, I would like to close with a
prayer, also from Mark Twain:

"O Lord our God, help us to tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with
our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale form
of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with
the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay waste
their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the
hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to
turn them out roofless with little children to wander unfriended the
wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports
of the sun flames of summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in
spirit, worn with travail, imploring Thee for the refuge of the grave
and denied it -- for our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their
hopes, blight their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimage, make
heavy their steps, water their way with their tears, stain the white
snow with the blood of their wounded feet! We ask it, in the spirit
of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who is the
ever-faithful refuge and friend of all that are sore beset and seek
His aid with humble and contrite hearts. Amen." The War Prayer.

www.CindyforCongress.org

Camp Casey Peace Institute: www.thecampcaseypeaceinstitute.org