[Marxism] WATCHING GAZA COLLAPSE

Dbachmozart at aol.com Dbachmozart at aol.com
Tue Aug 21 09:00:49 MDT 2007

UPDATE FROM THE
ELECTRONIC INTIFADA

_http://electronicIntifada.net_ (http://electronicIntifada.net)
_______________________________

Palestine : Diaries: Live from  Palestine:

WATCHING GAZA COLLAPSE
By Yassmin Moor, Live from  Palestine, Aug 21, 2007

Today I went with my cousin's wife and her  children to
Gaza's social welfare office to pick up her monthly
paycheck  from the government. My cousin was killed last
September by an Israeli sniper  while he stood in front of
his house. Overnight his children and wife became  eligible
to receive 375 NIS (a little less than $100) a month from
the  Palestinian government because their father was now a
martyr. Yassmin Moor in  Gaza writes that this is their
third time coming to the office in the last  month, because
every time they go it's closed.

_http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article8951.shtml_
(http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article8951.shtml)

Palestine  : Human Rights:

ELECTRICITY CUTS EXACERBATE DIRE SITUATION IN  GAZA
Report, Al Mezan, Aug 20, 2007

Gaza's only power plant has  completely ceased providing
power after Israel's four-day closure of the  border
crossing through which fuel supplies enter the Strip and
the  European Union's freezing of funds. Gazans' already
hard living conditions  are expected to rapidly aggravate
without proper power supplies. Israel,  which has full
control of Gaza's border crossings, has continued  its
policy of closure, a serious measure of collective
punishment against  Gaza. Since 2000, it tightened the
closures, but completely sealed off the  Strip in June and
imposed unprecedented restrictions on the movement  of
people and goods.

_http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article8954.shtml_
(http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article8954.shtml)

Palestine  : Multimedia:

AUDIO: ISLAMIC DEMOCRACY AND THE "WAR ON  TERROR"
Podcast, The Electronic Intifada, Aug 20, 2007

Radio Tadamon!  speaks with the Washington editor of
Harpers Magazine, Ken Silverstein, who  recently published
an article entitled, "Parties of God: The Bush  doctrine
and the rise of Islamic democracy," which examines the
current  democratic developments in the Middle East within
the context of the US  supported "War on Terror."
Silverstein discusses the Muslim Brotherhood in  Egypt,
Hamas in Palestine and Hizballah in Lebanon as examples
the growing  role of Islamic movements in democratic
political systems in the Middle  East.

_http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article8950.shtml_
(http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article8950.shtml)

Lebanon  : Human Rights/Development:

ISRAELIS AIRDROP AN OCCUPATION
By Simba  Russeau, Electronic Lebanon, Aug 20, 2007

BEIRUT, 17 August (IPS) - With  an estimated one million
unexploded land ordnances meaning lack of access to  their
lands, many farmers in southern Lebanon see cluster bombs
as an  Israeli "occupation." An estimated 25 percent of
cultivated land is now  inaccessible in the south. Last
summer, Israel pounded Lebanon with over four  million
cluster bombs and artillery shells that destroyed
villages,  displaced thousands and wrecked more than 70
percent of the southern economy.  Financial losses to the
livestock sector alone were estimated at nearly 22  million
dollars.

_http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article8949.shtml_
(http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article8949.shtml)

--
ABOUT  US: The Electronic Intifada (EI) is a
not-for-profit, independent publication  committed to

EI, found at _http://electronicIntifada.net_ (http://electronicIntifada.net)
 provides a
needed supplement to mainstream commercial  media
representations of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
More  information about our work can be found at
_http://electronicIntifada.net/v2/aboutEI.shtmlb_
(http://electronicIntifada.net/v2/aboutEI.shtmlb)

To find out about other EI/eIraq lists available, see:
_http://electronicintifada.net/cgi-bin/kebab/mail.cgi_
(http://electronicintifada.net/cgi-bin/kebab/mail.cgi)

SUPPORT OUR PROJECT: Our work needs funding. We accept
donations via  credit card and cheque. U.S. donations are
tax deductible. More information  can be found at:
_http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article2162.shtml_
(http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article2162.shtml)