[Marxism] WSJ editorial: "Brits on Venezuelan Dole"

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 22 00:11:18 MDT 2007

(The squeals of pain in the privileged classes when they lose their
ability to dictate to other peoples, countries, and governments.)

WALL STREET JOURNAL
EDITORIAL
August 22, 2007

REVIEW & OUTLOOK

Brits on Venezuelan Dole
August 22, 2007; Page A14

Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez has found a British business partner
in the mayor of London, Ken Livingstone. Mr. Chávez is doling out $32
million, which is supposed to allow a 50% cut in bus fares for
low-income Londoners. In return, Transport for London will go to
Caracas to tutor locals on fixing traffic jams.

In fact, Mr. Chávez and Red Ken -- as the left-leaning mayor is known
-- are partnering on petrol-diplomacy, much like the discounted
home-heating oil for the South Bronx and the purchase of government
debt from Argentina. As such, Mayor Livingstone's job is to bash --
who else? -- George Bush. Answering critics aghast that the U.K. --
with per capita GDP of $31,000 per year -- is taking handouts from
Venezuela -- per capita GDP $6,000 -- the mayor replied: "Frankly,
I'd rather be getting into bed with [Mr. Chávez] than, as the British
government has been, getting into bed with George W. Bush." We're
guessing Mr. Bush prefers that too.