[Marxism] Bonaparte and Bush

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Aug 23 07:11:26 MDT 2007

Pitching the Imperial Republic
Bonaparte and Bush on Deck
By Juan Cole

French Egypt and American Iraq can be considered bookends on the history
of modern imperialism in the Middle East. The Bush administration's
already failed version of the conquest of Iraq is, of course, on
everyone's mind; while the French conquest of Egypt, now more than two
centuries past, is all too little remembered, despite having been led by
Napoleon Bonaparte, whose career has otherwise hardly languished in
obscurity. There are many eerily familiar resonances between the two
misadventures, not least among them that both began with supreme
arrogance and ended as fiascoes. Above all, the leaders of both
occupations employed the same basic political vocabulary and rhetorical
flimflammery, invoking the spirit of liberty, security, and democracy
while largely ignoring the substance of these concepts.

The French general and the American president do not much resemble one
another -- except perhaps in the way the prospect of conquest in the
Middle East appears to have put fire in their veins and in their
unappealing tendency to believe their own propaganda (or at least to
keep repeating it long after it became completely implausible). Both
leaders invaded and occupied a major Arabic-speaking Muslim country;
both harbored dreams of a "Greater Middle East"; both were surprised to
find themselves enmeshed in long, bitter, debilitating guerrilla wars.
Neither genuinely cared about grassroots democracy, but both found its
symbols easy to invoke for gullible domestic publics. Substantial
numbers of their new subjects quickly saw, however, that they faced
occupations, not liberations.

My own work on Bonaparte's lost year in Egypt began in the mid-1990s,
and I had completed about half of Napoleon's Egypt: Invading the Middle
East before September 11, 2001. I had no way of knowing then that a book
on such a distant, scholarly subject would prove an allegory for Bush's
Iraq War. Nor did I guess that the United States would give old-style
colonialism in the Middle East one last try, despite clear signs that
the formerly colonized would no longer put up with such acts and had, in
the years since World War II, gained the means to resist them.

full:
http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174831/juan_cole_the_republic_militant_at_war_then_and_now