[Marxism] Bolivia enters into a dangerous phase as constituent assembly forced into indefinite suspension

Fred Fuentes fred.fuentes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 12:24:33 MDT 2007

I will try and put up more information of the dangerous situation that
Bolivia has entered into. I received an email today that many of the people
involved in the Constituent Assembly are leaving Sucre and the rumours of
more violent confrontations has once again reared its ugly head so please
stay alert and keep an eye on Bolivia Rising boliviarising.blogspot.com.......
[PS anyone that can help me out with translations please email me at
fred.fuentes at gmail.com, they are generally just short news articles but if
you want to do longer ones that is more than welcomed]

Vandalism in the streets of Sucre and persecution against constituent
delegates put at risk the future of the
assembly<http://boliviarising.blogspot.com/2007/08/vandalism-in-streets-of-sucre-and.html>
http://boliviarising.blogspot.com/2007/08/vandalism-in-streets-of-sucre-and.html

<http://bp0.blogger.com/_IcA5rZf1N2o/Rs3PBgLrZDI/AAAAAAAAAOA/7CW-j7tgQlE/s1600-h/0294.jpg>The
protests in favour of making Sucre the full capital of Bolivia have turned
into criminal actions. The Government has called for unity and deplored the
violence. The constituent assembly has suspended indefinitely its sessions
due to lack of guarantees. State media has deplored the aggression against
journalists. Chuquisaca will carry out a new 24 hour civic stoppage this
Thursday.

*Sucre and La Paz, August 22 (ABI)* – The mobilisations in favour of making
Sucre the full capital spilled over this Wednesday into acts of vandalism,
persecution of constituent delegates, attacks against private houses,
looting of union headquarters, destruction of media installations and
physical aggression against journalists. These acts have dangerous put in
risk the future of the constituent assembly, which indefinitely suspended
its sessions.

The day of violence in the capital of the republic was lead by the
Inter-institutional Committee which supported university youth and high
school students as confronted police in the morning, and in the afternoon
gave themselves the task of assaulting assembly delegates, attacking private
homes and hitting journalists who supposed did not agree with the demand of
full capital.

The president of the assembly, Silva Lazarte, denounced the very worrying
lack of guarantees for the constituent delegates, principally those from La
Paz and MAS, who are being threaten and even notified to leave the private
houses where they are temporarily staying.

The government lamented the day of violence that shook the capital of the
republic, exhorting unity and asking for guarantees so that the assembly
could continue its work.

For its part, the Inter-institutional Committee convoked for this Thursday a
new 24 hour civil stoppage demanding the restitution of issue of the capital
in the debate within the assembly.

The attacks against the journalists of Radio New Homeland and Bolivian
Television were deplored by the Direction of Social Communication and the
directors of the state media via a letter they send to the press
organisation, in support of the right to information being respected.

Meanwhile the campesino and indigenous unions will evaluate in the next few
hours the looting of their offices by vandals who carried out these actions.

*Suspension – constituent assembly.*

Following an analysis of the violence carried out by radical groups in
Sucreand having proven the lack of guarantees to secure the physical
integrity of
the assembly delegates, the president of the Constituent Assembly, Silvia
Lazarte, indefinitely suspended future plenary sessions.

Following the incidents that occurred at midday between the police and the
protestors, headed by the Inter-institutional Committee, the directive of
the assembly agreed to receive the committee so as to hear their concrete
demands, where they proceed to attempt to impose, by any means, the decision
of the committee to reinsert the issue of the full capital.

Around 3pm, following the aforementioned meeting, Lazarte announced the
indefinite suspension of the assembly, also informing that due to the
security situation they would ask the commander of the Tactical Unit for
Police Operations (UTOP) to increase police numbers surround the Gran
Mariscal Theatre, to avoid new confrontations.

In regards to this issue, the constituent delegate, Marco Carillo lamented
the attitudes of intolerance expressed by some sectors against the delegates
from La Paz and MAS.

*Persecution – assaults.*

A violent group destroyed with rocks, sticks and other heavy objects the
windows and doors of a private house adjacent to the Gran Mariscal Theatre,
where MAS delegate, Ignacio Mendoza, was supposedly seeking refuge.

The delegate, Mendoza, who had abandoned during the hours of the afternoon
the headquarters of the Constituent Assembly (Gran Mariscal Theatre), was
intercepted and afterwards chased after by irate protestors.

After running several blocks, the delegate took refuge in a private house
that was close to the Gran Mariscal Theatre. The vandals incorrectly
identified the house where the delegate was seeking refuge, and with a
violent and aggressive attitude, used rocks and other types of objects
against the windows and doors, without reason.

*Government*

The executive power condemned the persecution and physical aggression
against the constituent delegates, the violation of the state of law and the
attack on freedom of the press.

Spokesperson for the presidency, Alex Contreras, announced that these acts
will be denounced at the national and international level, given it was a
matter of serious excesses against the democracy.

He denounced that the groups that were carrying out these acts of vandalism
and delinquency were financed by the Civic Committee, the office of the
mayor of Sucre and San Francisco Xavier University.

He announced that this Thursday they would present evidence that the
students of San Francisco Xavier have been obliged to participate in the
strikes, marches and acts of violence, with the threat of losing a year of
study if they did not attend.

Moreover, the executive power called for the unity and integration of the
country and to leave aside particular interests in order to guarantee the
conclusion of work of the constituent assembly, that is seeking to realise
structural changes for the country.

"We call on the population to wager on the unity and integration of the
country. We don't want division, we don't want confrontations, nor mayor
rivalries between some sectors. What we want to promote – hopefully we can
and we will continue to do so with all our efforts until the last moment –
is to guarantee the conclusion of the Constituent Assembly", signalled
Contreras.
Translated from ABI<http://abi.bo/index.php?i=noticias_texto&j=20070823001235>