[Marxism] The criticism of religion [was: RE: Vnzla: reasons tobe optimistic]

Joaquin Bustelo jbustelo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 17:49:25 MDT 2007

Haines Brown writes:

"If 'communism' is a different kind of social order, is it not obvious that
it will take work/effort/struggle to achieve it?"

Well, yes, obviously, but there IS a difference between the skilled labor of
a cabinet maker and that of the totally clueless wannabe randomly battering
wood with a hammer.

My objection was to this statement: "Whether we achieve it or not is of
course all up to how hard we struggle."

That is NOT true. That is a voluntaristic notion. It all depends on where,
when, and how your struggle. You can beat your head to a bloody pulp by
banging it against the walls around some prison, but that will almost
certainly NOT free any political prisoners.

Or let's consider a hypothetical example. Say there were really a U.S.
antiwar movement, but it was fractured with three counterposed days within a
couple of weeks for each other for national or nationally-coordinated
protests. I believe the correct, revolutionary attitude to take to these
protests against the imperialist war while the war is actually going on is
to invite the comrades from pissel, double-double-you-pee and the
see-pee/committees of constipation plus their nonprofiteer and other
bourgeois friends to take their posters, leaflets, lists of endorsers, march
permits, speakers platforms, microphones and sound systems and SHOVE THEM UP
THEIR ASSES.

After that, they should dissolve, both their coalitions and their parties or
committees, and demonstrate their sincerity to sin no more by either
slitting their wrists or drinking some Jonestown kool-aid.

Speaking hypothetically of course, since there is no antiwar movement in the
United States. Because no one would be so BRAIN-DEAD STUPID as to perpetrate
such a criminal division at a time when the majority of the population is
against the war and the ruling class itself, and its political circles,
deeply divided as to what to do.

"Struggling" to create the most divisively fractured and sectarian antiwar
movement possible is PRECISELY what shouldn't be done. That is why it is NOT
"all up to how hard we struggle." We can struggle all the harder we want,
and asinine opportunist sectarian IDIOCY is STILL opportunist sectarian
idiocy.

And, no, you can't take one person, or a few people, or a few dozen people,
and magically change this. You might not even be able to do it with a few
hundred, or a few thousand.

It's not just a question of struggle, it is ALSO about demonstrating a
capacity for intelligent thought above that of, say, an earthworm.

Joaquin