[Marxism] Forwarded from Stan Smith

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Aug 24 18:02:07 MDT 2007

Why does a working class fighter have to be a "Trotskyist" to struggle
against bureaucracy? Who came up  with this idea? Lenin fought against
bureaucracy, Fidel Castro has for many years, so has Raul Castro. In
fact, many Communists in Cuba recognize the need to struggle against the
bureaucratism that can undermine the revolution.

Why say Che is a "Trotskyist," whatever that means these days, because
he struggled against bureaucracy. Why not add Lenin, Fidel, and the
majority of the Cuban CP?  Why not call Trotsky an unconscious Fideliista?

It is inconceivable that a working class political activist would not
struggle against bureaucracy. The word Trotskyism has no monopoly on that.

I don't think that Che had Trotsky's History of the Russian Revolution
in his backpack means that much. Most Marxists read, and we all die. We
cannot be defined ideologically by the last book we read before we died.