[Marxism] Theory of Violence

daniel.evans920 at ntlworld.com daniel.evans920 at ntlworld.com
Sat Aug 25 10:43:08 MDT 2007

Below is the reply I got from Clausewitz.com.  I think it's a little mealy mouthed and misses the point somehow.  I'm not sure that it is a point that is frequently made, not so explicitly anyway and it's a theory of violence not politics. Still, nice to get a reply and nice that he mentioned Lenin:

Daniel:

Yes, that point is frequently made. Lenin, for example, said in his
discussion of Clausewitz that peace is the continuation of war by other
means. That there are uses of violence in politics other than those
manifested in war is also widely noted, and any good definition of
politics has to apply to all human social constructs, not just the
state. Clausewitz himself, however, was not writing about either
violence or politics--his subject was the conduct of military operations
in war.

Clausewitz.com

---------------------------------

298558.303391 wrote:

> Below is the result of your feedback form.  It was submitted by
>
> daniel.evans920 at ntlworld.com on August 25th, 2007 at 09:45AM (EDT).
>

> Comments: Hi there,
>
> I believe that there is an unfinished syllogism in the work of Clausewitz
which if he had completed would have made him even more renowned today than he
already is.

> He made two statements about war, politics and violence when he perhaps
should have made three.  He said: war is the continuation of politics by other
means and war is violence.  As he was writing about war it is understandable
that he did not think to make the concluding statement: violence is the
continuation of politics by other means.

> The implications are that all violence, every single example of it however
seemingly insignificant, is an expression of or a continuation of an
individual's, group's, organisation's or state's politics.  From wife-beating
to rape to mugging to gang wars to battering protestors to terrorism to world
war, all are explained by this theory.  Of course, it doesn't absolve the
researcher from painstakingly getting to the roots of the perpetrators politics
in each separate instance but it give the framework from which to begin.