[Marxism] Bush Invokes Vietnam

Paul Flewers rfls12802 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 26 15:34:26 MDT 2007

I think that Bush's invocation of Vietnam in his recent speech on Iraq has
considerable significance. Hopefully US list members can confirm this one
way or the other, but I can't recall any US president implying that the US
withdrawal from Vietnam was too early and was at the root of many of the
succeeding troubles in South-East Asia. This certainly now places Bush
within the lunatic fringe of US politics, with the implication that he, like
the US military was held to be in Vietnam, is being sabotaged by cowardly
political forces at home. It also suggests that he wishes to intensify
military operations in the Middle East.

The arguments that Bush put forward prior to the attack on Iraq, that Saddam
Hussein posed a deadly threat to US interests, were highly reminiscent of
Hitler's rantings in the run-up to the Second World War about how Poland and
Czechoslovakia posed a deadly threat to the Third Reich. Bush's statements
about Iran today are much the same. Now we have Bush making heavy hints
about sabotage at home, which is reminiscent of the 'stab in the back'
argument about Germany's defeat in 1918 put forward firstly by von
Ludendorff and then by Hitler.

In both cases, Bush is taking his arguments from the arsenal of very
unpleasant people.

Paul F