[Marxism] The criticism of religion[was:RE:Vnzla:reasonstobeoptimistic]

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 27 10:45:30 MDT 2007

Haines Brown wrote:

> How can you presume to speak for everyone on the left? Most "leftists"
> I know are registered democrats and generally vote democratic. I
> believe your broad generalization really stands in the way of
> understanding the issue.

I believe that the leftists you know are registered Democrats.

> This usually means supporting the least objectionable democratic
> candidate.

Well, it didn't mean this before the "popular front" turn. Eugene V.
Debs and the pioneers of American communism never supported DP
candidates, no matter how "progressive" they seemed. Of course, back
then they were almost as disgusting as they are today. It was only the
emergence of the New Deal that gave the impression that the DP was
somehow a suitable platform for working class goals. After Hiroshima and
Nagasaki, that illusion should have been buried forever.