[Marxism] Kill all the landlords

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Aug 28 11:14:53 MDT 2007

 From Michael Yates's blog:

http://mike.cheapmotelsandahotplate.org/?p=19
What’s It All About/A Rant about Landlords
Filed under: General
Posted by: Mike @ 6:23 pm

We drove the long and dismal trip from Washington DC to Amherst,
Massachusetts on Monday, August 20. It was overcast and rainy, matching
our moods. It had been a long and difficult ninety days on the road
promoting my book. I wondered if it had been worth it. True, the book
has done well in terms of new books published by a small and left-wing
press like Monthly Review. There has been a second printing, just five
months after publication. And the book is in stores no Monthly Review
book has ever been and noted in sections of newspapers probably very few
books by a radical have ever been noticed. But still, a book like this
should have a much wider audience. Unfortunately, it is really not
possible to reach such an audience absent the greatest good luck. So,
you have to ask yourself–what was the point of it all? Ego
gratification? Yes, there was a lot of that. But that doesn’t last long
or make you happy either. The hope that you will get a few people to
think more critically about their country and the environment? Maybe,
but more than a few are needed to bring about any kind of meaningful change.

After nine hours, we reached the apartment complex where we would live
for the next five months. It was a nice enough looking compound, lots of
trees and greenery, very close to town and the university where I would
teach. (I was also thinking about why I had decided to teach again. I
couldn’t come up with an answer except that I would accumulate some
money and maybe we could put this to good use later. I certainly had no
feelings of joy that I would be in front of lots of students again. Just
like my book will make a few people think, so too will my teaching. But
so what? As Marx said, this entire society bears down upon our breasts
like an incubus. Most of us are crushed and will be into the foreseeable
future). We parked the car; I found the key in a storage shed under some
pots; and we opened the door.

Words cannot adequately describe our dashed expectations. The place was
a mess: dirty, cluttered with junk, not an eye-pleasing thing in sight.
The living room couch and love seat were ancient, badly worn, and could
not be sat on. There was a board under the dirty cushions of each,
making them as hard a church pew. When I removed the boards and sat
down, I sank to the floor. And things got worse after that. I won’t bore
you with the details except to say that we called the landlord and
managed to get a few things done. Hopefully we’ll get more done this
next week, and the place will be barely liveable. I almost walked away
from the whole mess and would have had I been alone. It is going to be
very difficult to teach and live here. At least we are conveniently
located, near school and town and grocery stores and the like. We’ll
have to make do and vent our anger by planning our future.

Landlords are, for the most part, a particularly vicious lot. They act
like they are doing you the favor by renting a place to you and they
demand all sorts of information about you. However, when all is said and
done, caveat emptor. But then what can you expect in a society where
private property is king, and the mere ownership of it conveys all sorts
of rights and marks the owner as a specially placed person. Those
without property, on the other hand, get what they deserve, a thorough
thrashing! Righteous historians and social commentators ask why Chinese
peasants injured and killed so many landlords after the 1949 revolution.
Such violence! I think to myself, why didn’t they kill more. Of course,
we are not propertyless. And we won’t ever kill anyone. But if I were
king, landlords would have to go before a special renters’ court and
prove themselves worthy of staying out of prison. To make matters worse,
the treatment of renters helps fuel the pipedream of home ownership,
where you trade one set of predators for another.