[Marxism] It's a dog's world

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 29 07:11:25 MDT 2007

NY Post, Aug. 29, 2007
HEIR OF THE DOG: LEONA WILLS $12M TO A POOCH
BUT NOTHING TO 2 GRANDKIDS
By DAREH GREGORIAN and BRADEN KEIL

August 29, 2007 -- Trouble took a $12 million bite out of Leona
Helmsley's will.

While the Queen of Mean left a kennel full of cash for the
plenty-pampered female pooch, she also left potentially billions of
dollars to charity, court papers show.

The will leaves a total of $50 million in bequests to Trouble the dog
and three family members, and instructs that the remainder of her
personal fortune - which Westchester Surrogate's Court documents
estimate to be valued at between $4 billion and $8 billion - to the
Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust.

Helmsley didn't completely turn over a new leaf in her later years,
however - two of the family members to whom she left bequests were left
less than Trouble, and she pointedly excluded two of her grandkids,
Craig and Meegan Panzirer, "for reasons which are known to them," the
filing says.

None of her 12 great-grandchildren is mentioned at all.

The only nonfamily member to whom Helmsley left cash was her chauffeur,
Nicholas Celea of Woodside, Queens. She left him $100,000 if he
"survives me and at the time of my death is employed by me or any
Helmsley entity."

The 87-year-old Helmsley - whose love of the finer things in life was
legendary - also left $3 million to en sure a first-class afterlife with
her late husband, Harry.

"I acknowledge in this will, as I often did during my life, my love,
affection and admiration for my late husband, Harry B. Helmsley. I
direct that I be interred wearing my gold wedding band (which is never
to be removed from my finger) and my remains be interred next to my
beloved husband . . . and next to my beloved son, Jay Panzirer, at the
Helmsley Mausoleum," the document says. That tomb is in Sleepy Hollow
Cemetery in Westchester.

"I also direct that anything bearing the Helmsley name must be
maintained in 'mint' condition and in the manner that it has been
accustomed to, maintaining the outstanding Helmsley reputation."

full:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08292007/news/regionalnews/heir_of_the_dog__leona_wills_1.htm

===

NY Times, August 29, 2007
Census Shows a Modest Rise in U.S. Income
By ABBY GOODNOUGH

The nation’s median household income grew modestly in 2006, the Census
Bureau reported yesterday, even as the percentage of people without
health insurance hit a high.

Experts said the rise in income was mainly a reflection of an increase
in the number of family members entering the workplace or working longer
hours. Average wages for men and women actually declined for the third
consecutive year.

“There’s lots of evidence that more people are working,” said Jared
Bernstein, a senior economist at the Economic Policy Institute, a
liberal policy group in Washington. “The important theme going on here
is a labor market that’s definitely offering people more work and more
hours, but at lower wages.”

The slight improvements in household income and a drop in the poverty
rate came during a period of job growth, particularly toward the end of
2006, and declining inflation as a result of falling oil prices. But in
2007, the economy has begun weakening because of the national housing
slump, and inflation has jumped. The average wage peaked at $17.52 an
hour in February and has since fallen, according to Labor Department data.

Some Republicans seized on the new data as evidence that Bush
administration policies had been good for people’s pocketbooks. In a
statement, President Bush said the news was a sign that Congress should
not raise taxes. The data, he said, confirmed “that more of our citizens
are doing better in this economy, with continued rising incomes and more
Americans pulling themselves out of poverty.”

But others saw a mixed picture, with household incomes still below their
peak before the last recession in 2001.

“Too many low- and middle-income families are not sharing in the gains,”
said Robert Greenstein, executive director of the Center on Budget and
Policy Priorities, another liberal research group. “These figures are
inconsistent with claims that the policies of recent years have produced
an outstanding economic track record.”

full: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/29/us/29census.html