[Marxism] Class Reductionism was One reason for rulers'

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 29 19:30:24 MDT 2007

Joaquin Bustelo wrote:

> And in order not to overly tax the analytical capabilities of people on this
> list, I will tell you what I think Andy's Marxism consists of: a simplistic
> class-reductionist syndicalist/economist schema.

Historical Materialism 12-2 (2005) has an highly interesting symposium
on Crhistopher J. Arthur's _The New Dialectics & Marx's "Capital"_.
Among the contributions is Robert Albritton, "How Dialectics Runs
Aground: The Antinomies of Arthur's Dialectic of Capital," pp. 167-188.
The whole of Albritton's article (as well as the symposium as a whole)
is of great interest, but relevant here is his focus precisely on class
reductionism (and connected dogmatic tendencies). The argument is far
too complex for me to attempt to describe it here, but I think it well
worth anyone's time to read it.

Carrol